Keeping bushers fit

Foxpack 2

3 hours ago, Str said:

Had ago at lamping tonight, wrong night really moonlit but it was just for a laugh,first rabbit clamped down nicely I was getting abit giddy, dogs couldn’t see until it ran, terrier was after it as fast has his little legs would carry him but dozie spaniel had been looking at me and lamp instead of were he was going so he had temporarily blinded himself  the slack twat, next rabbit I picked terrier up so he had a better view which worked he ran straight at it but it was up and away.we had another run but now we’re near, I managed to squeak a fox upto 50 yards but it wouldn’t sit still for it’s picture.dogs were good at recalling them .good night enjoyed it, I also realised tonight my deben lamp must be over 30 years old but it’s had new reflecter switches etc over the years.

258E85CC-5030-4954-8616-1D88A9317EF6.jpeg

F849D0CE-466B-41B1-92F4-69DF4A680255.jpeg

That lamp sounds like the axe that's had 3 new handles and two new heads but is still the one that come from granda 

• Like 1

W.katchum,I like Them because they have plenty common sense which we all know is not that common,I think the combination of common sense and a really good nose is what I like about them,when bushing there good at not flying about all over the place cos I’ve said it’s there,today they put a rabbit up that ran 200 yards across an open field so they took after it,the rabbit went into cover we’re theres some sets i gave him a few pips on whistle and he came straight back,5 mins after they put a hare up from under are feet they ran after it for 50 yards I shouted terrier and he stopped and came back I was well chuffed,he’s had some work put into him which is beginning to pay off.i doubt I will use Sealyham x Russell to ground but I used Lucas’s to ground, they could find well only ever took the odd nip and I could shout them out.

• Like 2

Sealyham ,Lucas and sporting Lucas are well known as terriers with brains "manners" .dont see many about today but very popular back in the day .the price tag that gos with them is stupid .1500  a Sealyham pup is crazy money .

i used to see old women with one at the allotments and it normally had a rat in its mouth.

was it Lucas terriers you had or sports str .

On 19/12/2018 at 20:16, Str said:

No both long gone, I’ve a similar dog now a Sealyham x Russell. You would struggle to get a decent Lucas now as most are pets which is a real shame as they are a great knock about terrier,mine did everything and more than you would normally expect a terrier to do.

115BF166-B843-4B54-9930-0D818C5A31BD.jpeg

4895B0A9-DF15-4EFC-BC4E-B667CAA2CF6B.jpeg

B303D33A-A95B-4C58-9DB7-09400679D510.jpeg

5700F46A-8397-4EEE-920A-F4917BC40C72.jpeg

B3CB438C-FA41-4A6E-9A16-359BA2A415FD.jpeg

Look nice str,like the bedlington ,

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Sealyham ,Lucas and sporting Lucas are well known as terriers with brains "manners" .dont see many about today but very popular back in the day .the price tag that gos with them is stupid .1500  a Sealyham pup is crazy money .

i used to see old women with one at the allotments and it normally had a rat in its mouth.

was it Lucas terriers you had or sports str .

They were sporting Lucas terriers, I forgot about the sporting bit lol, there is a Lucas terrier club but they are a different dog to the sporting variety.

1 hour ago, Str said:

Moocher71,the bedlington wasn’t mine it was bred out of a dog I owned that was 1/16 border, have you bedlingtons?.

My dad and grandad kept bedlington terriers and lurchers .they used them to fill the pot and for fox pelts .nothing like the show dogs you see now ,I remember few of the terriers had coats like goat hair .i have a bedlington greyhound first x who's coming on fine ,next season will b her first and so far she doing ok .she as lovely temp and easy to live with .

was your border x from George N ,karnt b anything left of his line now,maybe a bit of his blood but not much in dogs today even though some sell pups saying his line .

merry xmas mate

atb

1 hour ago, Moocher71 said:

My dad and grandad kept bedlington terriers and lurchers .they used them to fill the pot and for fox pelts .nothing like the show dogs you see now ,I remember few of the terriers had coats like goat hair .i have a bedlington greyhound first x who's coming on fine ,next season will b her first and so far she doing ok .she as lovely temp and easy to live with .

was your border x from George N ,karnt b anything left of his line now,maybe a bit of his blood but not much in dogs today even though some sell pups saying his line .

merry xmas mate

atb

Yes Rillington blood,I bred him out of a Rillington bitch I had with a Rillington  dog 1/8 border cross who belonged to printer on here who’s still got Mainly Rillington Bedlingtons.any pics of your pup? I had a Bedlington x whippet/greyhound which was a good dog, Merry Xmas.

1 hour ago, Balaur said:

My first dog was a sealyham x Russell big thing I made lots of mistakes with him . He was gone 2 when I'd lost hope of him doing anything other than retrieves. Used to take him out squirrel shooting he run around tree squirrel would dance round onto my line of sight and bang. Did one with the airgun after ferreting it out of big oak pinged it , it dropped he plodded over to retrieve and it curled over and crunched him through the bridge of his nose. He killed all and sundry after that. Great days never seen a better dog on the squirrels. Atb Joe 

Any pics?.

18 minutes ago, Balaur said:

Possibly my mother has some. 25 year ago now. He cost £20 quid from a small valley town was probably 5 weeks when I got him piss yellow and full of worm's.  They'd bred them for working rabbits. 

See your Mam then they would be nice to see cheers.