Weirdy Beairdy?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? We had several beardie coated pups, out of our Border sheepdogs and Cattle Dogs,...I think folk sometimes forget the salient word with this particular canine,..it is a Collie...? Herding dogs n

My current boy, don't no feck all about his breeding free to a good home, but I get told almost weekly by every dog expert I meet he,s a beardie cross just before they pull his ear back to tell me he

I've ran Beardies crossed for some time, dam an daughter, not DH. I don't recognize the majority of comments about them posted here. They were rabbit bitches but never had an issue with "accidents" an

Posted Images

26 minutes ago, brian c said:

Do all collie greyhound stalk I've never had one heard good and bad about them but everybreed has good and bad 

Some dogs, (whatever their type ) can be a wee bit too hot...they go at the game, like a bull in a china shop.?

They sometimes need slowing down a tad,...I always school a lurcher, to show some patience...when required...?

498388351_photo44-Maddiecomingintothenet.jpg.c6e5d92ca292018f961c3cacb13003e0.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just to throw a spanner in the works ?, the best collie x lurcher for guarding I owned, at home, and would let me know what/who was about when out, was a lovely red merle 1st x border/grey bitch, not from hancocks, accidentally killed in 1984

My current boy, don't no feck all about his breeding free to a good home, but I get told almost weekly by every dog expert I meet he,s a beardie cross just before they pull his ear back to tell me he will have a tattoo if he,s a Hancock, he does,nt and he is,nt, but his breeding must be simular, I think as an older wiser man we get along great and have a good bond, but I would have probably struggled when I was younger and wanted instant action as it took us at least a year before things came good and he was 18 month when I got him bad points he has a great nose and will flush out hunt up and track deer for a pass time, so have to keep him on a string in woodland, he is a great guard dog and will actually attack if someone decides to hop the fence, as the local crack head found out when he was just looking for somewhere to shelter in my locked shed,best advice I could give is if you don't have the time and patience to build a bond and want something that's doing it all in year one stay away from collie X.s but if your not in the numbers game and have time your efforts will be rewarded, he,s very intelligent and therefore very easy to upset ✌️✌✌

image.png

• Like 8
32 minutes ago, Greyman said:

My current boy, don't no feck all about his breeding free to a good home, but I get told almost weekly by every dog expert I meet he,s a beardie cross just before they pull his ear back to tell me he will have a tattoo if he,s a Hancock, he does,nt and he is,nt, but his breeding must be simular, I think as an older wiser man we get along great and have a good bond, but I would have probably struggled when I was younger and wanted instant action as it took us at least a year before things came good and he was 18 month when I got him bad points he has a great nose and will flush out hunt up and track deer for a pass time, so have to keep him on a string in woodland, he is a great guard dog and will actually attack if someone decides to hop the fence, as the local crack head found out when he was just looking for somewhere to shelter in my locked shed,best advice I could give is if you don't have the time and patience to build a bond and want something that's doing it all in year one stay away from collie X.s but if your not in the numbers game and have time your efforts will be rewarded, he,s very intelligent and therefore very easy to upset ✌️✌✌

image.png

Good post that, crackhead looking for shelter lol ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had three dogs with varying amounts of bearded collie in them during the 90s. All had their idiosyncrasies but no more or less than other dogs I've owned. The first was a first cross beardie x greyhound (so half beardie) she was very 'enthusiastic' and very intelligent. The second was 3/8 beardie 3/8 border and 1/4 greyhound and, like Shortstraw's, would go through gorse, brambles and barbed wire with no ill effect whatsoever. He was soft and soppy  but very loyal. The last was 3/8 border 1/8 beardie 3/8 whippet 1/8 greyhound so the amount of beardie was negligible compared to the previous two. She was very easy to train but completely lacking in initiative.

The only one of the three I'd have again would be the middle one but that could simply be because a) he had more base blood or b) he was male and I get on better with dogs than bitches.

• Like 1

A friend of mine had a beardie cross off a genuine working beardie and was a very good dog, mooching lamping ect. What i think is overlooked is working collies are in essence hunting dogs, only the hunting aspect has been supressed into more of the herding instinct, a rogue collie can be one of the worst sheep killers about, One thing often springs to my mind is are you  good enough to be the alpha male in the working relationship, as skycat said some collies do not respond well to stupid commands.

My sister has a beardie lurcher,got her from a guy on here must be 8 or 9 years back,great dog but so intense,has to constantly be retrieving things,anything at all she will pick up and fetch to hand for whatever reason.

2 minutes ago, keepitcovert said:

A friend of mine had a beardie cross off a genuine working beardie and was a very good dog, mooching lamping ect. What i think is overlooked is working collies are in essence hunting dogs, only the hunting aspect has been supressed into more of the herding instinct, a rogue collie can be one of the worst sheep killers about, One thing often springs to my mind is are you  good enough to be the alpha male in the working relationship, as skycat said some collies do not respond well to stupid commands.

Good points there again, especially re stupid commands AND owners, which in my opinion is the main reason for the rise in popularity of ................. THE BULL CROSS!!! .............. ?. Don't hate me you bull x owners, just saying they are 'easier' to deal with than collie crosses ? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had a bitch with alot of beardy in her she was really good at most things i found her very easy to live with aswell but i don't know if i was just lucky never stalked anything always flat out only problem i ever had with her was overheating on a night lamping so knew where all the cattle troughs were

• Like 3
1 hour ago, fatlad said:

I had a bitch with alot of beardy in her she was really good at most things i found her very easy to live with aswell but i don't know if i was just lucky never stalked anything always flat out only problem i ever had with her was overheating on a night lamping so knew where all the cattle troughs were

Good point that about the overheating. My lad's old lurcher was the same, sire was beardie/grey x border/beardie/grey, dam was pure greyhound. He had the thickest coat and skin I've personally seen on a lurcher, had to make sure temps were below about 8 degrees practically every time he took him lamping. Could see see him wilting pretty quickly after a few runs sometimes, and then take a bit of a break so he could recover. Was a very fit dog, so it was nothing to do with fitness levels. I don't think a running dog needs that sort of weather protecting coat these days

• Like 1