Weirdy Beairdy?

My contribution........

Mine was a Hancock mix, border/ beardie......quite a few years ago. I always say he was nose down eyes up. By Christ could he hunt. His skin was amazing, he was once tangled in some barbwire, would have seriously damaged most dogs skin, but it hardly touched him. Fantastic temperament. You would close your eyes as he headed towards a hedgerow full pelt, but he never sustained an injury. He was an out and out hunt and catch dog. I never hunt fox, but he loved to.

I didn't realise how good he was at the time.  I don't know the exact amount of beardie in his make up, but it was in there. He was a hardy dog, very rarely ill.

• Like 1

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? We had several beardie coated pups, out of our Border sheepdogs and Cattle Dogs,...I think folk sometimes forget the salient word with this particular canine,..it is a Collie...? Herding dogs n

My current boy, don't no feck all about his breeding free to a good home, but I get told almost weekly by every dog expert I meet he,s a beardie cross just before they pull his ear back to tell me he

I've ran Beardies crossed for some time, dam an daughter, not DH. I don't recognize the majority of comments about them posted here. They were rabbit bitches but never had an issue with "accidents" an

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Andrewreynoldshunting said:

We had one from hancock and she was weird. 3/4 grey x 1/4 beardie

I remember her coming back from lamping and when we pulled up home and let her out she ran off. 

She wouldn't take squatters. Her best bag was 5 on a numerous occasions. So I got a pup and before she was 1 she caught 12 on same land. 

In the end she went to a pet home. 

I think if she ran off after lamping when you let her out of the car it says more about you than her as a dog.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
33 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

I think if she ran off after lamping when you let her out of the car it says more about you than her as a dog.

This is the dog in this old video. Some pratts in this game. What does it say about me then? Like I say I was 14-15 and loved the dog. Thought she was best in the world when she caught her first two rabbits but it never ever got much better from then. The dog was the most nervous dog you could imagine and she was scared of anything turning on her so would only run if it was running away. Made her first catch at 2 year old. A hare in March 2005.  Year of the ban. 

Edited by Andrewreynoldshunting
  • Like 1

Had a 3/4 grey 1/8 beardie 1/8 border from hancock superb dog like a rocket couldn't fault him out of Luke or John in think 2002 had a beardie out of enock 3/8 5/8 take everything never met a dog better on teeth than him single handed amazing dog if I could have any dog be him hancock just doesn't produce dogs like the ones that came out of enock anymore

Just now, shaaark said:

You know my thoughts on these c**ts of dogs gnipper lol ?

Mine would be walking along on a normal walk happy as larry and then just look at me like I'd just threatened him or something for no reason and then I had no chance getting him to come to me, I'd have to ignore it and walk off the other way and after a while he'd just forget the imaginary altercation and then come to me.

Trying to bite me and my missus was his main fault though the weird b*****d.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, gnipper said:

Mine would be walking along on a normal walk happy as larry and then just look at me like I'd just threatened him or something for no reason and then I had no chance getting him to come to me, I'd have to ignore it and walk off the other way and after a while he'd just forget the imaginary altercation and then come to me.

Trying to bite me and my missus was his main fault though the weird b*****d.

Dog I had  about 1988 by taffy was like that mate, along with several other weird behaviour issues, didn't try to bite me though. A few fellas I know had a few from him as well, and other beardie and border/beardie/greys, 1/2 and 3/4 breds. The only good thing they all had going for them, was the fact they all became useful catch dogs, with tough constitutions, but some were only edible game dogs. And I know the main point in owning a working lurcher is the fact that they work, but you couldn't live with the c**ts. And whilst I agree that you've got to have a certain mindset to get the 'best' out of collie crosses, a couple of the guys I mentioned are some of the best 'dogmen' I know, yet still had more than a few issues with the beardie blooded dogs

• Like 2

id say if your thinking of getting a beardie lurcher try and spend time with one first.

every beardie, beardie type I've seen has been quirky (ain't that most collies lol). Only seen two genuine beardie lurchers, a 1/4 bred from the puppy farmer, really well built bitch with a good nose and strike, but the lad couldn't do much with her. Mine was whip/grey x beardie/grey he took getting used to as a pup, total natural especially hunting up, hardy, glass brim full sort of dog, knew what you were thinking before you were thinking it, real miss

Like all types of dog, I think Beardies mesh better with some than others. In my albeit fairly limited experience with Collie types, I feel that their bond with their owners depends largely on how you treat them. They can be super sensitive in some areas and as tough as old boots in others. Just as some people get on well with Saluki types, so others vehemently hate them. My own experiences with Beardie lurchers is a good one. Brave, committed, as capable of figuring things out for themselves as a human, and not too keen on being told what to do all the time, which given their level of intelligence, means that pointless or stupid commands are met with the disdain they deserve. But I guess I could say that about all types of dog. It really does depend on the individuals in question, which isn't to say that there aren't nutty Beardie types: it's all down to the gene pool.

• Like 4

I remember Abraham Stanley having two b,collie x greyhound that came from David h and they both became good mooching juckels .must have been 80s.

the ones I've seen have had good jacket,feet,skin and the two abe had were good pot fillers and it's taken me until now to remember I never really see him give them jucks commands they just new what he wanted .

they didn't like strangers and good guard dogs .

i been thinking about putting some sheep dog blood to my bedy greyhound once she proved herself.

if I was looking for a pup I would go to David as you know what you getting and I know folk slag him but a lot of them have had and still have jucks from him.

atb

• Like 4
3 hours ago, Moocher71 said:

I remember Abraham Stanley having two b,collie x greyhound that came from David h and they both became good mooching juckels .must have been 80s.

the ones I've seen have had good jacket,feet,skin and the two abe had were good pot fillers and it's taken me until now to remember I never really see him give them jucks commands they just new what he wanted .

they didn't like strangers and good guard dogs .

i been thinking about putting some sheep dog blood to my bedy greyhound once she proved herself.

if I was looking for a pup I would go to David as you know what you getting and I know folk slag him but a lot of them have had and still have jucks from him.

atb

The guarding is the main thing I miss about mine, no need to look over your shoulder out shooting with him around and you wouldn't go in the yard with him.

• Like 1