Training on lamp

Hi all I need of some advice and thought where best to ask! My lurcher pup is coming on well with her basic training a little head strong but all in all coming on very well only thing I seem to be struggling with is getting her used to the beam I’ve had her out with a rabbit skin dummy with reflective tape on it casting the dummy out and using the beam for her to see. Doing this hoping she will run down the beam and pick the dummy but she won’t look down the beam at all and the odd time when she does she won’t repeat it! She 9 months old and probably been doing it for 2 weeks not every night but regular still nothing any advice??

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Update for everyone!  been out twice this week first night still looking around not watching the beam then last rabbi we seen she spots it then game on close one almost picked it but managed to escape

Once the pup equates the lamp with the movement of prey your on the pigs back  movement is the key, its the rabbit that educates the dog to the lamp , not the owner  dont let your frustratio

9 months I was slipping mine on rabbits. Not that she caught any at that age but I was impatient. They say make sure there capable physically of catching one before you slip them on one as they can ge

Posted Images

27 minutes ago, Lurcherman332 said:

Hi all I need of some advice and thought where best to ask! My lurcher pup is coming on well with her basic training a little head strong but all in all coming on very well only thing I seem to be struggling with is getting her used to the beam I’ve had her out with a rabbit skin dummy with reflective tape on it casting the dummy out and using the beam for her to see. Doing this hoping she will run down the beam and pick the dummy but she won’t look down the beam at all and the odd time when she does she won’t repeat it! She 9 months old and probably been doing it for 2 weeks not every night but regular still nothing any advice??

Give a detailed write up of what you’ve done with her before this. Have you done plenty of day work? Does she retrieve well during the day but not doing it at night. Does she try and look for it when you throw it in the dark or is she just not interested. Bit more info and someone might be able to give you abit of advice mate. I used to throw em during the day and then at night when I first start just did small throws just a couple of feet and then gradually further. I will say though at 9 month they go through a frustrating phase where they just don’t do what you want them to do. I say wait a week or so and try again and try not to get frustrated. Plenty of praise and treats if necessary. 

Thanks for the reply mate! She retrieved we’ll day and night I’ve done basics sit stay recall all bang on point now with her can get her to sit stay.throw a dummy and then send her out for it had her out ferreting but due to rabbit population not seen a lot! I’ve tried throwing it short but she can see the dummy so she’s not really using the beam I can throw one out on field walk away with her and then put the lamp on it and she won’t look down beam even walk right up to it and she’s looking everywhere bar the beam it’s frustrating maybe if she seen a rabbit on the move or dummy on move the penny might dropped but in my personal opinion she’s not mature enough to go lamping yet still very puppyish.

1 hour ago, Lurcherman332 said:

Thanks for the reply mate! She retrieved we’ll day and night I’ve done basics sit stay recall all bang on point now with her can get her to sit stay.throw a dummy and then send her out for it had her out ferreting but due to rabbit population not seen a lot! I’ve tried throwing it short but she can see the dummy so she’s not really using the beam I can throw one out on field walk away with her and then put the lamp on it and she won’t look down beam even walk right up to it and she’s looking everywhere bar the beam it’s frustrating maybe if she seen a rabbit on the move or dummy on move the penny might dropped but in my personal opinion she’s not mature enough to go lamping yet still very puppyish.

That’s how I started my pup off all the basics as you’ve said. I watched a video on YouTube called “Purdys Progress” it’s a step by step guide on how to bring a Lurcher on from a pup to the field. Isn’t a better tutorial in my opinion. I had the same issue as you wouldn’t really follow the beam when scanning but would pick up the dummy when I threw it and put the lamp on it. Mine started really watching once she seen the bunny move. After a few nights of action the penny dropped. She knew when the lamp comes on it’s time to watch. I’m impatient and like things to go smoothly. Just be patient the pup still young. If you got someone who can assist you for the time being I’d put the dummy on a piece of string out in the field with reflective tape on as you have got and maybe shine the lamp on the dummy and have your “assistant” pull the dummy as you shine the light on it. This might get the pups attention. Once it spots it move it should go after it. It’s worth a go anyway. How’s she bred mate

• Like 1

Had mine out a fair amount his first season and he won't look where the lamp is at the moment I think it comes with experience mate for the dog. I just lamp the rabbit hope it sits in place and I walk up to it he's getting a bit better every time I go out I've noticed him watching the lamp sometimes but 90% of the times he's looking at other things it will come patience is key 

• Like 2

Once the pup equates the lamp with the movement of prey your on the pigs back 

movement is the key, its the rabbit that educates the dog to the lamp , not the owner 

dont let your frustration for educating the pup effect the relationship , it shouldnt feel any resistance from you espically when you want it carrying  a highly prized item such as a rabbit into your space , best of luck 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Lurcherman332 said:

Exactly what I watched mate basically did my training with her from that thanks for advice mate il get someone out with me on the dummy or maybe take her out and let her see some rabbits moving on the lamp just to get her attention 

9 months I was slipping mine on rabbits. Not that she caught any at that age but I was impatient. They say make sure there capable physically of catching one before you slip them on one as they can get frustrated and bark which then scares everything else off the field. Mine was about 2 year old before she really started picking them up with ease. You got plenty of time mate  just keep doing what your doing bud. The penny will drop!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Had mine out a fair amount his first season and he won't look where the lamp is at the moment I think it comes with experience mate for the dog. I just lamp the rabbit hope it sits in place and I walk up to it he's getting a bit better every time I go out I've noticed him watching the lamp sometimes but 90% of the times he's looking at other things it will come patience is key 

It certainly is 

Try get her out with another dog 2/3 times watching the job done. Then give her a run if she’s looking down the beam and there’s sat out far enough with out spoiling her. Nothing like a pup watching another dog work to bring them on. Never had any trouble with getting a dog running the beam this way 

Try a amber filter rather than a dark red filter  were the dog can see every movement of a bunny even walk up to squatters and hiss excite the dog even if he can't see it he will soon associate it with a run good luck buddy 

Edited by Blackmag

Cheers for the reply’s people just going to give her the time she needs and keep up with her basic training she will come when she’s ready maybe a few months down the line il get her out around some rabbits maybe another dog not to slip together but to watch how it’s done thank you for the help much appreciated