Deer/grey collie/grey

Dogs of the above breeding were very common in former years.They are much praised as a cross on this forum.  Fashion seems to favour bull greys and salukis types now.Maybe that's down to there being far fewer rabbits and lurchermen are now hunting different quarry as a result.

My question is does anybody actually still own a deer/grey/collie type? If so is it the all rounder it is supposed to be? Any pics?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My collie deer grey 25 inch. Last picture Is from other day, she had pups 10 weeks ago

Fashion often dictates the flavor of lurcher hybrid, I've seen them all, come and go over the years... A personal favorite of mine was the Deerhound/Greyhound/Sheepdog combo,... I bred a fair few

I used to course with a chap who always said my little feathered bitch lacked a yard of pace, she killed more hares than his fastun ever did, as long as he is fast enough all that maters.

Posted Images

18 hours ago, jukel123 said:

Dogs of the above breeding were very common in former years.They are much praised as a cross on this forum.  Fashion seems to favour bull greys and salukis types now.Maybe that's down to there being far fewer rabbits and lurchermen are now hunting different quarry as a result.

My question is does anybody actually still own a deer/grey/collie type? If so is it the all rounder it is supposed to be? Any pics?

Fashion often dictates the flavor of lurcher hybrid, I've seen them all, come and go over the years...

A personal favorite of mine was the Deerhound/Greyhound/Sheepdog combo,... I bred a fair few and enjoyed hunting with them immensely.:clapper:

1473214564_File0809-Copy.jpg.d3686df168f03cebd3e5aac42b803263.jpgFile0059.jpg.d4134dcdce21814c326efb1b7ed1fad5.jpg

File0095.jpg.bf4bed858375835ede3d2a67d7bbe57d.jpg

• Like 7
1 minute ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Fashion often dictates the flavor of lurcher hybrid, I've seen them all, come and go over the years...

A personal favorite of mine was the Deerhound/Greyhound/Sheepdog combo,... I bred a fair few, enjoyed hunting with them immensely.:clapper:

1473214564_File0809-Copy.jpg.d3686df168f03cebd3e5aac42b803263.jpg

That's a lovely looking dog. Just a pity nobody is breeding them now. Pups from tested parents would be snapped up.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Busher100 said:

I'm not a hater but is there anything a newer cross couldn't do 10 times better?  There must be a reason they are hard to find

? Nothing to do with being a hater,...everyone is entitled to an opinion,..in fact, it is welcomed by all genuine enthusiasts.:yes:

I think the original poster was simply asking a question,...whereas, sensible debate and discussion, are essential elements in the creation of an improved type of hunting dog...

What was available, back in the day, definitely played an integral part in the style of canine that many of us had to run,..nowadays, the choice of breed type is far wider...?

• Like 6