After a young dog

Not everyone wants to mess about producing lines and what not. Personally im happy with a brace of terriers i can chuck plenty at that does me. 

Regards pups id rather buy off someone i didnt know. Everyones standards are different and i wouldnt like to take a gift of someone and they feel i didnt give it a fair go seen it few times pups gifted it doesnt make grade breeder slags lad he gifted too started it too early gave it too much and what not. If a pal wanted a pup it goes without saying theyd have it for nowt. But when you buy its sort of yours to do as you please with then aint it.

• Like 1

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've a young unspoilt bitch here you can have pal.....save yourself a few grand having one sent over....they all terrier gods on here ,some can even guide the quarry to ground with a selective shot ab

Good old boy DC and don't feck the dog or the man over Mr r3d ?,if it don't work out for you it goes back is the unwritten rule all gifted terriers come with to US ALL mate.The very best of luck with

black bitch,had rats,been tied up and had a listen,just not had anywhere easy to start her off.lives out,quiet and bombproof with other dogs.ive been given the chance and sorted out over the years....

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, C.green said:

Not everyone wants to mess about producing lines and what not. Personally im happy with a brace of terriers i can chuck plenty at that does me. 

Regards pups id rather buy off someone i didnt know. Everyones standards are different and i wouldnt like to take a gift of someone and they feel i didnt give it a fair go seen it few times pups gifted it doesnt make grade breeder slags lad he gifted too started it too early gave it too much and what not. If a pal wanted a pup it goes without saying theyd have it for nowt. But when you buy its sort of yours to do as you please with then aint it.

It’s the worst part of being gifted pups imo, that feeling that the terrier is never a 100% your own. 

• Like 2

The dog or bitch itself is yours to work but I do see what you mean dogmandont by not been 100% truly yours as to breeding from that dog or bitch if it comes good enough. On the other side of the coin that dog or bitch has been developed by a man that has put time and effort into getting it to that stage and when taking that dog or bitch as a pup that person should understand it has a responsibility to do right by its breeding and who bred it. More often than not if your gifted a pup you would know the breeder well and he would know you inside out and future relations and improving your terrier and his would be discussed between eachother and both views on how your dog or bitch would be taking into account and come to a conclusion what would be best for your terrier by both terriermen.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

The dog or bitch itself is yours to work but I do see what you mean dogmandont by not been 100% truly yours as to breeding from that dog or bitch if it comes good enough. On the other side of the coin that dog or bitch has been developed by a man that has put time and effort into getting it to that stage and when taking that dog or bitch as a pup that person should understand it has a responsibility to do right by its breeding and who bred it. More often than not if your gifted a pup you would know the breeder well and he would know you inside out and future relations and improving your terrier and his would be discussed between eachother and both views on how your dog or bitch would be taking into account and come to a conclusion what would be best for your terrier by both terriermen.   

And that’s exactly how it is and how it should be but it doesn’t change the fact that I feel gifted terriers are not fully mine whereas pups I’ve bought in in the past were mine to do with as I please, funny thing is the last pup I bought in must be 15 years ago and I paid the princely sum of 30 quid for her and she turned into one of the best terriers I ever had the lad I got that pup of has gifted me nearly every terrier I’ve owned since.

Edited by dogmandont
  • Like 2
16 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Most lads only breed when there’s a need .im out the breeding game but  having been burnt twice over gifted pups I wouldn’t advice  anyone with any meaningful lines to gift stuff without first knowing the lad and what he’s about .Still at a loss to understand how some lads apparently mad on the game a)haven’t got a line of their own and b)chop and change terriers like my missus buys cloths .

Surely the aim is find good stock ,work it  ,breed it ,repeat .Not a dig at Dc but he’s an example lol

happy new year to all 

I've never claimed to have my own line...just dogs bred down from the best to the best I had at the time...i was sorted a lining last season from a gentleman who (has probably the best blood in the country imo)wanted nothing back in return...didn't work out for me, so I  moved on....dont have the cheek to ask folks for freebies,dont muff no arse and cant be f****d with the politics and bullshit associated with dogs from certain folks/ lines...so always bred my own or bought them in,I've payed for dogs and gifted them away,f**k the money...always been honest with folks.ive knocked about with some slippery lads over the yrs and been burnt ,robbed,lied too and cheated.....Ive bred 5 litters of terriers and 2 lurcher  litters in 25/26 yrs for sport for myself and who ever was around me at the time?dogs get old,dogs get picky and some dogs don't gel? that's how it goes fd. atb?

• Like 9

It's important from the start that both parties no the terms that the dog is being gifted on,and should save arguments breaking out down the road,has far as I've been when I gift a man a dog it's his dog the only curtsey I would expect would be to offer dog back if things don't work out.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, foxdropper said:

Most lads only breed when there’s a need .im out the breeding game but  having been burnt twice over gifted pups I wouldn’t advice  anyone with any meaningful lines to gift stuff without first knowing the lad and what he’s about .Still at a loss to understand how some lads apparently mad on the game a)haven’t got a line of their own and b)chop and change terriers like my missus buys cloths .

Surely the aim is find good stock ,work it  ,breed it ,repeat .Not a dig at Dc but he’s an example lol

happy new year to all 

Man up FD become the BOSS of your own house,just tell your wife she buys clothes when YOU say so,done it years ago and now as a result  I am tHE BOSS when she is not around.

• Haha 3
10 hours ago, howdeeposxxt said:

Iv'e a young russell bitch here who's a gifted dog,i knew before i picked her up if she works she gets mated in the future to what ever the fella wants her bred to and she probebly will go out the country to be bred as well,but she's my bitch and if she don't work she'll stay here as a family pet and be sterilized as she's a cracking little no hassle dog to have about anyway....It is all down to respect for the line,the terriers themselves and the folk who have worked fecking hard putting a line together and i couldn't look in a mirror if i didn't stick to the true meaning behind what were talking about.I'm doing my very best for her and she's going in the right direction so far,so all good for us all and to the folk who do gift out stock to us non breeding terrier owners i thank you  greatly..✌️

• Like 5

None of thats relevant mate .You don’t have to own kernels full of dogs to have a line but you do need mates on the same page .Kennels full of non workers serves no purpose at all .In 32 years of digging I’ve only kennelled 19 dogs that were worked as often as possible .

39 minutes ago, foxdropper said:

I’d rather KNOW what I’m feeding and breeding than wonder if,when and will they do it again .

Surely that counts for 90% of taking the game seriously .

The young russell i have is from a line of russell's that has well proved itself for the last 30 + years, knowing what i have ain't a problem for me FD :D..

• Thanks 1

By sticking to a known source you are cutting down the odds of failures rather than like some who buy from this lad ,that lad ,try breeding scatter bred parents,never arriving at anything that will breed true .Amazes me they struggle on like it tbh .

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

But we are talking about lads who don’t mind where it comes from aslong as it works, an most lads o know like that wouldn’t breed off 2 unrelated dogs as they DONT BREED?

No body has to breed to be part of a line mate .Ive given plenty of pups to lads who will never breed and has been advantageous when all I need is to know is that what I’m breeding is working without the headache of what to put it too .Not all dogs within a line need breeding to .All I ever asked was that they worked it and kept me informed .A lad that wants the breeding rights to a gifted terrier is ,can be a right pain in the arse unless they tow the line so to speak .

• Like 1