UKDTR DEER TRACK AND RECOVERY

Had a bit of a gander of their site....

Other breeds and cross breeds will be accepted for testing and may track within the UKDTR volunteer scheme but UKDTR strongly advise against cross breeding and will not place advertisements for breeding or progeny from such dogs.

WTF? :blink:

What is it with deer and snobbery....

I'm a UKDTR member, my tracking dog is a lurcher, the only one on their register, and we do a few call outs a year. I've never found the other members snobby but I've never read that bit on the website either lol.

I don't reckon the deer knows or cares whether it's my lurcher or someone else's hound or lab that tracks it. Being a lurcher gives mine some advantages if the wounded deer is still mobile too.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Tyla said:

I'm a UKDTR member, my tracking dog is a lurcher, the only one on their register, and we do a few call outs a year. I've never found the other members snobby but I've never read that bit on the website either lol.

I don't reckon the deer knows or cares whether it's my lurcher or someone else's hound or lab that tracks it. Being a lurcher gives mine some advantages if the wounded deer is still mobile too.

Fair one. The rest of the site looked good, so maybe I'm being a bit unfair.

I think it's a good thing to do. I love working dogs and this is just another way of doing it. It's good for deer welfare and the image of hunting too. Anyone who shoots enough deer will occasionally have one that goes wrong. We are here for that. We have tracking teams dotted around the country who will turn out and do there best to help find wounded deer when asked to do so.

I track almost every deer I shoot, assess the shot site etc, it's brought a whole new side into my stalking and I've learnt loads off the guys. Dog loves it too

• Like 2