Any brickys?

5 minutes ago, Qbgrey said:

Yup theres a big difference between those that think they know,and ones that do.my nan can lay a brick in a barrow,dont make her a bricky.i find the pointing lets alot of guys down.

Thats because a lot of lads come out of college and think theyre bricklayers and should be on £200+ a day for running a line.Half of them wouldnt even know how to knock a gauge of muck up properly.I remember years ago having to load out and point up behind the brickies before i was even shown how to lay a brick properly.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, wilbs said:

Jiggy did you get your tape from the Pound Shop lol. You're 25mm out of gauge and years behind we've moved on from Imperial.

9 x 225mm (215mm block + 10mm bed) = 2,025mm + 75mm briquette and bed = 2.1m height that is required.

I think you forgot to measure for your mortar between your beds or are you using dry stone wall measurements lol. For many years materials have been coming in at various sizes but you've still got to stick to gauge. If your external wall was 25mm too high and I walked round with NHBC at joist or wall plate height they would condemn the house because all your lintels would be tipping 25mm. Even I couldn't blag that after building house for nearly 30 years.

Also like I said 65mm brick + 10mm bed = 75mm x 28 courses = 2.1m height required 

10 hours ago, wilbs said:

I was adding an extra block on flat instead of using bricks. 9 1/2 row which is technically 2135 without bedding up or down. Tell him to get an extra few bags of cement aswell because English brickys are sloppy and half the mortar will end up on the floor.? You had no problem making pillar 75mm wider too suit. What would NHBC ( whoever they are) say about that. It's 2 pillars not a Gothic arch. I never mentioned imperial either you did saying 4 inch blocks. I said 100mm. 4 inchs is 102.5mm. ?

Edited by jiggy

You're not a bricky are you pal ? anybody can lay a brick even my kids can, they come with me on a weekend for any private jobs I do. Most decent brickys will use some kind of profile usually a Blake etc which are gauged up not just for fun but because we work to it. We sometimes do big office blocks and I will set the buildings out and put datums which we work to gauge to, give or take a few mm. If you pick your gauge up 35mm it will cause you a hell of a problem and the guy wanted 2100mm pillars not 2135mm ones. Nearly everything in a building works to gauge ie doors, windows etc you don't just build it 35mm higher when you don't need to. As for building the pillar 75mm bigger it will make it structurally stronger so not a problem and we have been doing it for so long NHBC trust us to get on with it. I'm a very neat bricky who takes a lot of pride in their work. Have a look you might have missed half a block on the centre of your pillar and NHBC will condemn that. To tell you the truth NHBC most of the time are checking stuff that's not relevant or important.  If you are anywhere ever near the Midlands and have a day spare I will give you £100 for the day and I can show you why it's important to keep an eye on your gauge but only as long as you are a good laugh 

Qbgrey - can tell you know your stuff and are also a decent bricky. I supply the pointing bars for my workmates and make sure they are all the same and get replaced every couple of months - most brickys are tight buggers and won't part with a fiver.

You are right there downsouth, we did a job quite a few.months back and there were quite a few young lads there (not with us) and they had to build a couple of manholes which had to be English and/or water bond and none of them had a bloody clue. I built them for them and the Site Agent said I could charge them what I wanted and then i had to teach the lads to build an English bond manhole which was a nice little earner.

Your right on that,these new brickys could nt build a water bond manhole,i done 2 huge class b eng brick m/h for a ground work company ,and the cheeky b....s said your to lazy to cut the end brick flush.total idiot.give new boys a slipper,or tell them benching,they screwed.

Most of us learn by our mistakes and feck me I've done some but am at that stage in my life now where I don't really miss too much and people wouldn't believe the kind of problems we have to get over. I'm sure there are a few brickys on here and you just do it without thinking if you keep checking your work and taking your time it's fairly simple and experienced brickys can get over most things.

I was gradually easing my way out of the building trade to other things,  but over the past few years have been on some jobs where you can name your price and are being begged to work by companies. Most half decent brickys should be earning about a grand a week. I'm a greedy bugger and will stay for a few hours after everyone else has gone and sometimes bang a couple of hundred bricks down before I go home but the bonus is that i can have time off for rabbiting.

I tell the lads to cane it and get stuck in because who knows what the future holds with prices. We have also got a few large units to do for a farmer friend of mine. The last two we built for him he found out the HS2 line would be rerouted straight through the middle of them!

Ive over 20 years experience 16 self employed since I was 20 years old so middle of the road experience and found with the new building regulations here in Ireland that most of the newly qualified brickys have learned the right way from day 1 and have a higher standard on the job than the old boys. 3mm tolerance on everything now on the bigger jobs but the old boys can't except that because they were allowed to let stuff slip for years. There has been meetings about it on site about why can't they keep things right but like I say if they are in their fiftys and they haven't learnt to be tidy after 30 or 40 year then it's a waste of time trying to get them to change at that stage because they know it all and can't be told different. It boils the old boys piss when a young lad knows more than them. Big difference between a couple of piers on a small entrance or private job where things can be altered and the bigger sites where you have   brickys, gang leader, subcontractor, main builder, a bricklaying foreman, a site foreman, an engineer, a clerk of works an overall developer checking work constantly and bickering trying to pass the blame around and hang the next guy if something is off to cover their own asses. Cutthroat business. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians which only leads to more confusion. Take that with the timber frame company fcuking up the frames which are twisted, have 25mm height differences to have a brick soldier course between window lintels on 4 block houses. Cill heights not gauging and widths not coursing and foundations 60 mm off level. Chippys or groundworkers don't have to alter fcuk all but bricky gets a 3 mm tolerance to sort out their mess. Fun times. ??

8 hours ago, jiggy said:

Ive over 20 years experience 16 self employed since I was 20 years old so middle of the road experience and found with the new building regulations here in Ireland that most of the newly qualified brickys have learned the right way from day 1 and have a higher standard on the job than the old boys. 3mm tolerance on everything now on the bigger jobs but the old boys can't except that because they were allowed to let stuff slip for years. There has been meetings about it on site about why can't they keep things right but like I say if they are in their fiftys and they haven't learnt to be tidy after 30 or 40 year then it's a waste of time trying to get them to change at that stage because they know it all and can't be told different. It boils the old boys piss when a young lad knows more than them. Big difference between a couple of piers on a small entrance or private job where things can be altered and the bigger sites where you have   brickys, gang leader, subcontractor, main builder, a bricklaying foreman, a site foreman, an engineer, a clerk of works an overall developer checking work constantly and bickering trying to pass the blame around and hang the next guy if something is off to cover their own asses. Cutthroat business. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians which only leads to more confusion. Take that with the timber frame company fcuking up the frames which are twisted, have 25mm height differences to have a brick soldier course between window lintels on 4 block houses. Cill heights not gauging and widths not coursing and foundations 60 mm off level. Chippys or groundworkers don't have to alter fcuk all but bricky gets a 3 mm tolerance to sort out their mess. Fun times. ??

Not wrong there, tables have turned now though and most decent brickys/tradespeople can tell them to stick their job up their arse and be on another job in 10 mins lol. Grass isn't always greener though and I think you are best to try to stick to your favoured companies etc. Am off to drive up to Peak District with mrs and kids for a walk up and over Kinder Scout will.hopefully be a bit of snow up there. Have got to meet lurcherlad off here as got him a little ferret jill and also Mick Dadd to get some new bits and bobs off him. They are decent nets.

Put the line up jiggy lol

• Like 1