Any brickys?

2.1m standard height for most external doors on new builds = 28 courses of bricks or 9 courses of blocks and a briquette. If you just pick your gauge up slightly you can do away with the briquette.

2 courses of 4in concrete blocks per upright block = 18 x 4.5 = 81 x 2 pillars = 162 blocks.

675mm x 675mm would be easier as it's just a full block (450mm) and the header of the next block 215mm + 10mm perp 

If you really need a 600mm x 600mm pillar I will PM you the easiest way to do it. Hope this helps, do you want to borrow a trowel ?

• Like 2

Jiggy did you get your tape from the Pound Shop lol. You're 25mm out of gauge and years behind we've moved on from Imperial.

9 x 225mm (215mm block + 10mm bed) = 2,025mm + 75mm briquette and bed = 2.1m height that is required.

I think you forgot to measure for your mortar between your beds or are you using dry stone wall measurements lol. For many years materials have been coming in at various sizes but you've still got to stick to gauge. If your external wall was 25mm too high and I walked round with NHBC at joist or wall plate height they would condemn the house because all your lintels would be tipping 25mm. Even I couldn't blag that after building house for nearly 30 years.

Also like I said 65mm brick + 10mm bed = 75mm x 28 courses = 2.1m height required 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are right in what you are saying  but when you are laying blocks flat you actually need 12.5mm beds or sometimes more or less as blocls come in different sizes and you've still got to work to gauge, you can't make your own gauge up you have to compensate with beds according to material size. 

You wouldn't believe the meetings I have had over the years with brick and block reps over their tolerance of materials 

Blocks are a pain coming in at 215mm,ive always said they should be a bit smaller,sometimes difficult to get em down to marry up with brickwork,time you bed the dpm,then bed the damp,then first course of wall ties..even now i see plenty if brickys putting far too much bed down on blocks..

I normally get the lads to bump up the external brick work corners 5-10mm just to help them get over this as it then keeps your lintels sitting nice, all that comes with experience.

The problem nowadays is getting decent reliable lads most of them want the money but don't want to do any work.