Why aren't the lads with high populations of Rabbits helping the lads with none in a hunting community

8 minutes ago, two crows said:

I don't ferret at all now, though I still have my stuff, but used to take over a hundred a week off a couple off places and the sets just seamed to refill almost strait away, a question for lads who ferret areas with low numbers would you employ a catch and release policy.

that's the best question I have heard yet. the thrill for me is seeing the dog Mark then the thumping underneath still gets my heart racing even at 52.but yes it's not the killing I enjoy so release I think I could do. 

• Like 2

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why would they thrive? the same reason they disappeared in the first place would most likely put paid to them again. 

You want them.go and get im just in the door from a 7 hour round trip and killed 20 rabbits with the dogs do it most weekends  thete to be had if your willing you put the effort in  

Aint that the truth poxy things every where. Used to stick to the big old woods now they out in the bloody hedge rows dam near trip over them. They really do need a dam good culling 

9 hours ago, two crows said:

I don't ferret at all now, though I still have my stuff, but used to take over a hundred a week off a couple off places and the sets just seamed to refill almost strait away, a question for lads who ferret areas with low numbers would you employ a catch and release policy.

My dogs employ that policy except for the catching bit

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

there a old saying you only can kill them once .??   farmer,landowners  couldnt give a fook about your hunting (dog men ) the just want the rabbits gone of there land, and dont forget  in the summer when the farmer driving around and seeing few rabbits knocking  he let the rifle lads on legal to kill the lot. where i lived before  there were quite lot of rabbits , i could take 15-20 a week with my lurcher, ok not massive numbers but i was happy  my dog was getting a run every week, then the nummbers dropped off, i found   one night bumped in to bloke with gun,  he been taking them , so there you go, no dog can compete  with a bullet fact . with mixy which is man made same as the other one, rifle men,  rabbits number will disappear  for good like say you can only kill them once, and i feel sorry for people who carnt get quarry for there dogs  more so young people starting out , i often wondered how long fox numbers  will keep going  like they do, they been shot to fook every night,  if got one with my dog i was very happy, they rifle people will kill  6-dozen most nights, maybe  the lurcher work as we know it, could be a thing of the past in due time, deff food for  thought .!!

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, bird said:

there a old saying you only can kill them once .??   farmer,landowners  couldnt give a fook about your hunting (dog men ) the just want the rabbits gone of there land, and dont forget  in the summer when the farmer driving around and seeing few rabbits knocking  he let the rifle lads on legal to kill the lot. where i lived before  there were quite lot of rabbits , i could take 15-20 a week with my lurcher, ok not massive numbers but i was happy  my dog was getting a run every week, then the nummbers dropped off, i found   one night bumped in to bloke with gun,  he been taking them , so there you go, no dog can compete  with a bullet fact . with mixy which is man made same as the other one, rifle men,  rabbits number will disappear  for good like say you can only kill them once, and i feel sorry for people who carnt get quarry for there dogs  more so young people starting out , i often wondered how long fox numbers  will keep going  like they do, they been shot to fook every night,  if got one with my dog i was very happy, they rifle people will kill  6-dozen most nights, maybe  the lurcher work as we know it, could be a thing of the past in due time, deff food for  thought .!!

Think foxes will still be around long after rabbits have disappeared. Survive anywhere, and on anything. 

I used to drop half a dozen or so on local Waite land and parks just for the crack in some places there still thriving now in fact the best spot was a local football pitch I even got moaned at by the lad who runs it he said stop dropping bunnies over there I said I haven't dropped a bunny on there in over 10 years ha ha ha 

Just now, gnipper said:

Has anyone noticed a decrease in predatory mammals in areas where rabbits have vanished?

no decrease really ....but old brock is increasing everywhere imo,I can't walk a terrier off the lead anywhere in a10 mile radius where I live......any hole scratched out used to be a fox......not anymore,scatchings and shit pits everywhere ,right f***ing nuisance 

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

no decrease really ....but old brock is increasing everywhere imo,I can't walk a terrier off the lead anywhere in a10 mile radius where I live......any hole scratched out used to be a fox......not anymore,scatchings and shit pits everywhere ,right f***ing nuisance 

Say about 30 years ago, I'd be lucky to see a badger in a night's lamping. The last few years it's strange if I don't see at least one every time I've gone

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Aint that the truth poxy things every where. Used to stick to the big old woods now they out in the bloody hedge rows dam near trip over them. They really do need a dam good culling 

• Like 5
1 minute ago, terryd said:

Noticed that myself particularly during summer months when they dig the young out. Must be attributing to the overall decline in rabbit population.

1 hour ago, shaaark said:

Say about 30 years ago, I'd be lucky to see a badger in a night's lamping. The last few years it's strange if I don't see at least one every time I've gone

only ever saw them over the bridge yrs back on the lamp.....went to lamp some rabbits with my pup the other night,few mile from my house,saw a few rabbits sat out,scanned the rest of the feild and counted 4 sets of eyes as billys rooting about for food,they out numbering rabbits most places now.

• Like 1
On 09/12/2018 at 09:41, countrymon said:

I can understand your frustration mate. There used to be plenty of game around me locally. Now it's almost devoid. I look at the land and wish it were the same as it used to be. I was working for a local farmer last wk,he has been farming there around 20 years on that particular farm. We used to hunt that land 30 years ago and it had reasonable numbers of hares,partridge and rabbits on it then. In Feb you could often see 5 or 6 hares boxing regular. I have not seen a hare on there  for the last 15 years. He says his farming methods haven't changed, he puts it down to predators.i.e. badges,foxes buzzards. I remember walking that land when I was younger and stepping over leverates in there forms.

Hit the nail in the head it’s the predators I think aswell badgers everywhere these days digging out warrens etc