Winchester 42grn subbies.

Acquired some of the above today and went rabbiting tonight.

Man I couldn't shoot tonight, a blustery wind, cold too and my brain and trigger finger had lost all connections!

I missed several, fluked a couple then pulled myself together! The Winnie subs shot to zero at 50yds with a good group shot off hand and  proceeded (eventually) fill the bag for an order of six.

Beautiful rabbits in thick lush winter coats.

I have to say, so far this Brno shoots anything it stuffs in its chamber!

Jess behaved and was rewarded when the bag was full with a run at a squatter.

She didn't catch it but had a good 100yd run.

IMG-20181208-192306235.jpg

U.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good shooting Nathan. I’ve had a box of the 42’s when they became available. I found them slightly more accurate than the 40’s but not much in it. I haven’t had any since though. Have you tried stingers in your Brno Nathan? You never know, they might actually be accurate???  They do hit hard if you can get them to connect ? as you probably know. It’s just getting them to connect, but if your brno likes them.........

45 minutes ago, Rimfireboy! said:

Good shooting Nathan. I’ve had a box of the 42’s when they became available. I found them slightly more accurate than the 40’s but not much in it. I haven’t had any since though. Have you tried stingers in your Brno Nathan? You never know, they might actually be accurate???  They do hit hard if you can get them to connect ? as you probably know. It’s just getting them to connect, but if your brno likes them.........

The velocitors now you remind me weren't to fantastic!

It would be worth a try of the old stingers when I bump into them. ?

I did like the Velocitors, even if they were tight to chamber, they were "reasonably" consistent and did hit hard, tiny HP just the same and hardly impressive expansion.

As I've said before, not used HV in the .22LRs for years. 

Regardless of the consistency of the ammo itself, it seems to me the twist rate of the vast majority of .22lr suits the sub sonic better!

Edited by Deker
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Deker said:

I did like the Velocitors, even if they were tight to chamber, they were "reasonably" consistent and did hit hard, tiny HP just the same and hardly impressive expansion.

As I've said before, not used HV in the .22LRs for years. 

Regardless of the consistency of the ammo itself, it seems to me the twist rate of the vast majority of .22lr suits the sub sonic better!

Yes, they reckon one in 16" twist isn't enough (always) to control the wobble coming back to sub sonic.

I tend to think of HV ammo for just more clout and not really range extension.

In saying that at normal 22 ranges a subbie is ample!

Ok, I've heard and read about the 42g, even watched the Winchester Vid on the stuff, but what in the real world do you (anyone) think of it?

How does it fly, does it hit harder, does anyone actually notice any difference from the 40g??????

Cheers

I’ve used both, I’m currently using 42’s because that’s what was in the shop, to me they group the same as the 40’s through the cz, they may hit a little harder, but then again the 40’s hit hard enough for rabbits, to be honest I’ve not noticed any different they still kill the little hoppers just the same

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’ve used both, I’m currently using 42’s because that’s what was in the shop, to me they group the same as the 40’s through the cz, they may hit a little harder, but then again the 40’s hit hard enough for rabbits, to be honest I’ve not noticed any different they still kill the little hoppers just the same

Same as above.

I did think I could feel a very slight increase in recoil.....don't laugh.

It's a sales gimmick really!

Bet someone just screwed up making the forming dies and they made thousands before they realised!

• Like 1

I have used the 40s in the past and use the 42s now. I havent noticed any real differences between them, it didn’t even change my zero which was a bonus, I’m out on the rabbits now since the start of the shoot season as nobody local to us will take our pheasant, so I have a little system going with my mate who’s a butcher. I get him rabbits for his shop and he makes our pheasants into sausages which we can sell on to beaters/ guns and also eat at 11’s. Everyone’s a winner, well except for the pheasants and the rabbits! But I couldn’t bare it if the birds were going to waste. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1