When you least expect it

So had a run of bad luck lately. End of last season Blue had a really nasty injury. We were out hunting and he came back with a bad cut at the top of his left leg. Lots of visits to the vets and 3 months rest and he came good. Really thought  this was going to be our season and I have been putting in a fair bit of time with him. He’s picked up the usual knocks along the way but has always got over it. He’s a tough dog and I really like the way he works. 

Anyway......yesterday I took him for a little walk just to get a bit of fresh air. Walking up the side of the river and just about getting  back to the van he stopped dead in his tracks and I could see blood spraying everywhere. Someone had been camping out and there was smashed glass all over the bank. Totally wasn’t expecting it. It took me nearly 20 mins to slow the bleed and finally someone else came to help so I could drive to the nearest vets. Vet just called and the glass has gone through some of the blood vessels and cut through a couple of tendons. Bad enough if we would have been hunting, but to do this on a walk and it’s all down to people with no respect for the countryside. He’s never going to be right again and should have had his best working years ahead of him.

Without a first aid kit to stop the bleeding I think he would have been a gonner. 

So I was looking out for a pup anyway but I will definitely be looking now. I might have one lined up but don’t want to have all my eggs in one basket in case the bitch doesn’t take. If anyone knows of a breeding happening then please let me know. I’m looking for an all rounder 24-26 TTS. Lurcher to lurcher or something collie/deer. I will know when I see the right litter. I would consider taking on something up to a year old. The dog will be used for lamping and working up in the hills and to bushers.

Thanks in advance 

• Sad 5

1 hour ago, Allan P said:

Bad news, always seems to happens to the good ones. Blue is a cracking dog from what I saw of him hope you get sorted out soon. 

Cheers Allan. It was up at Meldon. Exactly where we walked out. All the easy to get to spots on Dartmoor are getting the same. Park up, dump their crap and no respect for others. 

• Like 1

So sorry to hear that terrible news Geth...

When I had a walk out with Blue, it was obvious that he was going to be a superb working dog...:yes:

Always happens to the best jukels,...in fact, over the years, I cannot ever remember losing, a non-achiever,..it always seems to be the good'un's that cop it. 

Yours was a terrible waste, and as you so rightly say an unnecessary, wasteful thing...

Bad luck to the glass breaking c^nts?

• Like 6