Not such a good night foxing

Only the one last night.

It was drizzly when we started, but dried up soon enough to leave a clear starry night. Jack was spotting using the XQ38. He reckoned the drizzle was greying the picture out, but it was actually the lens cap still closed. Yes, really. :laugh:

It wasn't long before we spotted our first fox. It was close to the road so shooting it from where we were wasn't an option. Jack lit it up with the lamp it it just stood there in the trees looking at us. He kept the beam on it and with excellent fieldcraft :whistling: I manoeuvered round to the side of it so I had a decent backstop behind. By the time I got a good bead on it through the trees I was no more than 20-30 yards from it. It alternately looked at me, then at the lamp, then back to me. I took the shot and it dropped on the spot. A decent size smelly dog fox. 

We've shot a few there that have had stitch marks, shaved bits, bits missing etc. and this was another. There was a perfectly square shaved patch on its chest that the fur had begin to grow back on. Whether it didn't run because it was used to humans or it had been hit by a car as it was so close to the road I don't know.

We also saw a pair of half-grown cubs playing but they were in front of a house. Strange time of year for half grown cubs.

We saw the odd fox here and there through the thermal but switching the lamp on showed they weren't shootable. 

Oh well, one is better than none.

Fair play to the do gooders eh for releaseing town foxes in the conutry side to provide us folks with shooting opportunities.............do these folks really care or learn ?

Must of still been under anesthetic if you managed to creep up on it i've seen you walk ??

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
50 minutes ago, delswal said:

Fair play to the do gooders eh for releaseing town foxes in the conutry side to provide us folks with shooting opportunities.............do these folks really care or learn ?

Must of still been under anesthetic if you managed to creep up on it i've seen you walk ??

It's called catlike stealth. 

Funnily enough I was out last night and the only one I saw was next to a road sticking close to the hedge.

By the time I got on it it had disappeared!

Relocating vermin is illegal.

If it's ok for the RSPCA and others to break the law it must be ok for me too ?