Thermal for foxing.

I have always advocated the use of a n/v device for clarification on quarry id if using a thermal. For example, use a thermal spotter and then switch on a n/v scope to positively id and shoot the fox or whatever. In my case i use a pulsar helion xq50 spotter and a Drone pro x10 to id and shoot with.

Lately i have been listening to several lads who are using thermal for both and i wondered about the safety of doing so.

Well a few nights ago i was out with a mate foxing on one of his perms. As i was driving down the track to the farm house i kept stopping and having a look with the thermal. There is a hedge that runs at 90 to the track and after stopping for the third time i spotted a fox mooching about along the hedge. I switched the motor off and went round the back to get my rifle on the roof for a shot. Having done so, i had a look with the thermal to find the fox again.  Well there it is about 70 yds further down the hedge towards the track, just sat up looking towards me. I switched the Drone and laser illuminator on and got down on the scope to id and then shoot. Imagine my surprise when the fox sat down looking at me turned out to be the farmers collie dog. It looked just like a fox in the thermal but was instantly recognisable as a dog through the Drone. I will stick to my n/v scope as i think using all thermal is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 4

Thermal to spot. NV to shoot. Agreed. 

We were out last night and several times we spotted a fox clearly, to find  it was behind 20ft of brush. Apart from the ID issue, it would have been pointless shooting through that kind of cover.

1 hour ago, ianm said:

I have always advocated the use of a n/v device for clarification on quarry id if using a thermal. For example, use a thermal spotter and then switch on a n/v scope to positively id and shoot the fox or whatever. In my case i use a pulsar helion xq50 spotter and a Drone pro x10 to id and shoot with.

Lately i have been listening to several lads who are using thermal for both and i wondered about the safety of doing so.

Well a few nights ago i was out with a mate foxing on one of his perms. As i was driving down the track to the farm house i kept stopping and having a look with the thermal. There is a hedge that runs at 90 to the track and after stopping for the third time i spotted a fox mooching about along the hedge. I switched the motor off and went round the back to get my rifle on the roof for a shot. Having done so, i had a look with the thermal to find the fox again.  Well there it is about 70 yds further down the hedge towards the track, just sat up looking towards me. I switched the Drone and laser illuminator on and got down on the scope to id and then shoot. Imagine my surprise when the fox sat down looking at me turned out to be the farmers collie dog. It looked just like a fox in the thermal but was instantly recognisable as a dog through the Drone. I will stick to my n/v scope as i think using all thermal is a recipe for disaster.

Good point Ian, food for thought and something to be considered seriously.

• Like 2

Until Thermal looks as good as "Hollywood " films then eyeball is king ,love my thermal spotter and times when a scope would be nice but if you aint sure it isnt a safe shot imho 

Glad you didnt shoot the dog Iain and Walshie,s right you can see through cover but it doesnt mean the shot is safe  ,just shows check twice be safe atb

• Like 1

I personally have never had a problem with thermal identifying quarry that is moving,cats ,dogs,if your to inpatient yes you can some times misidentify an animal,if the quarry is stationary and not moving and I am not 100% certain I don't shoot,usually with movement the quarry is IMO easy to identify with thermal.

On 06/12/2018 at 11:50, ianm said:

I’ve always said this and still stand by it. 95% of the time I can be certain, but that still leaves 5% for error, walshie made a very valid point I have had many times in the past.

• Like 3