Advice on fly fishing

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That will do you fine to at least get a feel for fly fishing. I had an Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 piece, lovely rod with a nice action. As with all casting including beach casting, for which I am a castin

At some point in my past, someone said , why don 't you write a book. This would definitely have a chapter or two on trout fishing .i was born and raised in Melrose, on the river Tweed. Later in life

Have a look at John Norris’s website. If you’re not looking to spend loads have a look at the Shakespeare sigma and agility ranges , think they do full set ups aswell but if not they deffo do the rods

Posted Images

6 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Crack in pal ye sound sensible I’ll tell ye same thing teircel told me to tell me lad an it helped lots, keep ye elbow in an if ye struggle try an hold a book against ye side with ye elbows whilst casting ? wish he was still here he would have ye on the trout in no time, I ain’t got the words or experience tbh to tell ye? so I’ll tell ye to do what o done an that’s get out there ye will never know other wise ?

Teircel off here? He's given me bits of advice in the past couple few year ago like 

3 hours ago, tomburras said:

My faveroute fly rod is a 1970,'s glass fly rod labled by a leeds tackle shop that closed in the early 80,'s coupled with a budget reel but good fly line (airflo) I paid a tenner for the rod of eBay about 5 years ago and not much more for the reel. 

I've looked on eBay and gum tree but not many on or they don't know what weight and action they are got a few spots in mind when I get good and river season open might show you a few if get chance ?

• Like 1

Have a look at John Norris’s website. If you’re not looking to spend loads have a look at the Shakespeare sigma and agility ranges , think they do full set ups aswell but if not they deffo do the rods . You can get budget lines for a fiver but I’d rather spend a bit more on a decent line and a bit less on a reel because for trout fishing the reel will be little more than a line holder but a bad line that’s like a coiled spring will frustrate you and ruin your fishing.  Cortland , guideline and Rio are decent lines but can be dear but the  snowbee classic is a reasonable line that’s not too expensive. 

• Like 1

Lureflash / Fishing Republic head office is worth a look, a bit of a bomb site inside but you can pick up some really good gear at superb prices and not far from you, Rotherham. I have bought several pairs of chest waders from them at brilliant prices. Scroll through the pages linked and you will find some cheaper rods.

https://www.fishingrepublic.co.uk/fly-fishing-tackle.html?p=1

Phil

13 minutes ago, philpot said:

Lureflash / Fishing Republic head office is worth a look, a bit of a bomb site inside but you can pick up some really good gear at superb prices and not far from you, Rotherham. I have bought several pairs of chest waders from them at brilliant prices. Scroll through the pages linked and you will find some cheaper rods.

https://www.fishingrepublic.co.uk/fly-fishing-tackle.html?p=1

Phil

Be careful with fishing republic , they are on the verge of going under unless they can get emergency funding 

15 minutes ago, neil r said:

Be careful with fishing republic , they are on the verge of going under unless they can get emergency funding 

Time for some good buys then. Lureflash is the owner of FR and manufacture flies and other gear so they may not be the part of the company going down but who knows.

Phil

19 hours ago, philpot said:

Time for some good buys then. Lureflash is the owner of FR and manufacture flies and other gear so they may not be the part of the company going down but who knows.

Phil

Just seen a tackle and guns press release saying that fishing republic have now gone into administration 

• Sad 1
On 05/12/2018 at 22:38, MIK said:

Modern rods ,lines and reels are far superior to tackle fro the past 

Yep very true but I like to use my old vintage rod sometimes it's strangely satisfying.

Airflo do a nice little kit for £70 for a 4 weight rod. I'll get on at the start of next season I bet it would be a nice rod for small rivers. 

On 06/12/2018 at 21:14, Lenmcharristar said:

Get yourself a Diawa whisker 9ft6 fly rod and a 7 weight floating like on a large arbour reel with good braided backing this will cover all the bases including salmon too

There are way better rods than the diawa whisker at a similar price 

• Like 1

As part of my job I am lucky enough to try loads of different fly set ups single ,double handlers,  skagits,switch from low end to high end tackle and a rod that really surprised me was a Shakespeare’s agility 10ft #8 that a guest was fishing ...a decent rod for £50 .