Advice on fly fishing

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That will do you fine to at least get a feel for fly fishing. I had an Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 piece, lovely rod with a nice action. As with all casting including beach casting, for which I am a castin

At some point in my past, someone said , why don 't you write a book. This would definitely have a chapter or two on trout fishing .i was born and raised in Melrose, on the river Tweed. Later in life

Have a look at John Norris’s website. If you’re not looking to spend loads have a look at the Shakespeare sigma and agility ranges , think they do full set ups aswell but if not they deffo do the rods

Posted Images

On 04/12/2018 at 18:38, flynndog said:

After fishing most methods for trout and predator fish I'm thinking about trying to fly fish. Will be on small to mid sized river like the nidd and maybe a couple of trout fisheries with small ish ponds trout and grayling on the rivers what length and weight rod will be best and what action. I've read loads of different opinions but can't get my head round it. Starting from scratch so any offers or deals appreciated. Might not even enjoy it so don't plan spending a fortune on the top names just yet cheers.

Airflo starter kit will do the job. You don't need the best rod to catch fish I have So easy fished a 7/8 and I have down okay on river and fisherys 

• Like 1

I use a 450 grain Rio skagit on my switch rod for most of my salmon fishing on the ribble . Keep saying I’m going to try one of the 150 grain opst skagits on one of my #3 but not got round to it yet , think it was angling active in Stirling who were doing them 

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve got a OPST 150gr on a 7ft #3  never used it much last season my intention was to get a grilse on it will give it a go this season 

my new set up for this season is the new loop cross sx7100 10 ft #7 with a size 0 Stewart reel ....the reel is still being made but should be ready in the next few weeks ....with an OPST commando skagit smooth 275gr head and light mows tips 

roll on the start of the season

• Like 1