Advice on fly fishing

After fishing most methods for trout and predator fish I'm thinking about trying to fly fish. Will be on small to mid sized river like the nidd and maybe a couple of trout fisheries with small ish ponds trout and grayling on the rivers what length and weight rod will be best and what action. I've read loads of different opinions but can't get my head round it. Starting from scratch so any offers or deals appreciated. Might not even enjoy it so don't plan spending a fortune on the top names just yet cheers.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That will do you fine to at least get a feel for fly fishing. I had an Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 piece, lovely rod with a nice action. As with all casting including beach casting, for which I am a castin

At some point in my past, someone said , why don 't you write a book. This would definitely have a chapter or two on trout fishing .i was born and raised in Melrose, on the river Tweed. Later in life

Have a look at John Norris’s website. If you’re not looking to spend loads have a look at the Shakespeare sigma and agility ranges , think they do full set ups aswell but if not they deffo do the rods

Posted Images

At some point in my past, someone said , why don 't you write a book. This would definitely have a chapter or two on trout fishing .i was born and raised in Melrose, on the river Tweed. Later in life we moved to Gattonside and at the time there was an epidemic among the salmon coming up river. Cutting a long story short I was asked to help removing diseased fish from the river. After that I had pretty much free fishing.. The river Tweed is a slowish meandering type of river so you get the best of all worlds. Salmon, trout and a good head of greyling. A gentleman who I met on the bank, Jimmy Clinkscale, was willing to give me advice on trout on the fly, which to this day I have stuck to. Have a bottle and sit and watch. When you see a rise then fish it. If you don't leave it. The moral of this is that we always fished dry fly. I fished with a 9ft greenheart rod which by today's standards would be like trying to fish with a tank muzzle. I remember one beat called Ash Trees  which is opposite to the sawmill in Melrose which had 3 ash trees on an otherwise bare bank. Jimmy and I sat there for many a while and I asked why we didn't try for a fish. "Hold your tongue lad" was my reply. A little later he suggested I cast a fly to a moving fish, and guess what, I got the take. Moral again, wait, be patient, cover, and catch, with any luck that is. Now to be fair that doesn't answer your question but the move to fly fishing is quite a momentous thing. Get to read the water you are about to have ago at. How is your casting ability under overhangs and how to present that fly properly. Don't forget that it is very easy to spook a fish. Practice your casting on a still water and hopefully you will win the day.  Jok.

• Like 1

Not too bad at casting I've fished mostly on small rivers with plenty of overhang and cover it's the choosing of a rod and reel that's baffling me a bit with weight action etc id probably practice at a fishery to get the cast spot on then try the rivers I know hold plenty of fish. I've been trotting a float mostly with a little Tele rod and fish a chuck but it's easy. Fly fishing is an art I want to master little 7 foot Tele rod I've been trout bashing with the kids cheap ish and nothing for them to carry but fancy some kid free fishing haha

20181204_184335.jpg

Oh dear oh dear. Looking at that pic is just horrible. Not at all being condescding but if you want to go for fly fishing in the proper way, then use a proper fly rod. That thing is more  a pier rod. Just my. Opinion of course.jok.

If I were you I would go for a weight 5 Rod 8.5ft long.  This middleweight set up would cover your river fishing and also be man enough for most still water situations.  To go heavy for example weight 7 or 8 would be too much for your river fishing.  Longer rod gives better line control

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, wyeman said:

If I were you I would go for a weight 5 Rod 8.5ft long.  This middleweight set up would cover your river fishing and also be man enough for most still water situations.  To go heavy for example weight 7 or 8 would be too much for your river fishing.  Longer rod gives better line control

I've got a couple of set ups in mind just 60 quid ish think I'm going with middle weight I can always get another if I enjoy it to better suit whichever place I go either still or rivers

I have done quite a bit of fly fishing from small brooks with a 5# to large lakes for pike with 10# rods and as someone already said a 5# rod is a nice middle of the road road for river and lakes. This weight rod I used quite a lot for catching coarse fish which can be great fun, chub will give a good fight.

It is not easy to say what rod make to go for BUT when you fish other methods, float, ledger, lure etc, I personally found the faster tip rods suited me far better than softer tip rods. As with a number of sports, try before you buy is a good bet and one place I know of with a casting pool is Walkers of Trowel who I found extremely helpful when I first set out.

https://www.walkersoftrowell.com/game-fly-fishing-trout-fishing-salmon-fishing-bone-fish-tarpon-sea-trout-fishing-tackle.html

Hope that helps a little

Phil

• Like 1
1 hour ago, philpot said:

I have done quite a bit of fly fishing from small brooks with a 5# to large lakes for pike with 10# rods and as someone already said a 5# rod is a nice middle of the road road for river and lakes. This weight rod I used quite a lot for catching coarse fish which can be great fun, chub will give a good fight.

It is not easy to say what rod make to go for BUT when you fish other methods, float, ledger, lure etc, I personally found the faster tip rods suited me far better than softer tip rods. As with a number of sports, try before you buy is a good bet and one place I know of with a casting pool is Walkers of Trowel who I found extremely helpful when I first set out.

https://www.walkersoftrowell.com/game-fly-fishing-trout-fishing-salmon-fishing-bone-fish-tarpon-sea-trout-fishing-tackle.html

Hope that helps a little

Phil

Think I'm going for an orvis encounter off a man I know 9 foot 5 weight good condition ready to fish with some flies and few other bits and bats 70 quid if I like it after using it a few times 

That will do you fine to at least get a feel for fly fishing. I had an Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 piece, lovely rod with a nice action. As with all casting including beach casting, for which I am a casting instructor, many people try too hard using 80% effort and 20% technique. What is needed is 80% technique and 20% effort. Make the blank work for YOU not the other way around.

It took me quite some time along with lessons to get it right and I am certain that my style would be frowned upon by the purist fly fisherman but it worked for me.

Good luck with it and enjoy. One thing, don't buy cheap line because there is a reason it's cheap..................

Phil

• Like 2
1 hour ago, philpot said:

That will do you fine to at least get a feel for fly fishing. I had an Orvis Frequent Flyer 7 piece, lovely rod with a nice action. As with all casting including beach casting, for which I am a casting instructor, many people try too hard using 80% effort and 20% technique. What is needed is 80% technique and 20% effort. Make the blank work for YOU not the other way around.

It took me quite some time along with lessons to get it right and I am certain that my style would be frowned upon by the purist fly fisherman but it worked for me.

Good luck with it and enjoy. One thing, don't buy cheap line because there is a reason it's cheap..................

Phil

I'm not bad at casting I don't break my wrist like I've seen a few do 10-2 cast and nearly there with roll cast. As for cheap line I wouldn't buy it always end up like a bird nest curling up in a tangle.

• Like 1

The good Lady bought me one of those beginner sets from Decathlon last birthday - probably only 20 or 30 quid, but decent enough to start me off - rod, reel, fly line and half a dozen basic flies.

I picked up casting quickly enough, but it took me a while to get out of floppy wrist syndrome, on the last movement. I used the time waiting for the bite alarm to go off to practise casting. I'm really taken with it - I like the idea of trying to make something happen, rather than sitting around, waiting for something to happen !

Give it a go - you'll love it !

• Like 1

Give some of the big fishing tackle retail companies a call tell them what and where you plan To fish and they will keep you right .

one thing now a days even the bottom end tackle is decent and you will get a full set up for not too much money

• Like 1

My faveroute fly rod is a 1970,'s glass fly rod labled by a leeds tackle shop that closed in the early 80,'s coupled with a budget reel but good fly line (airflo) I paid a tenner for the rod of eBay about 5 years ago and not much more for the reel. 

• Like 1