.25 in 12 pfe for jackdaw??

Ive got my hw85 rebarreled with a .25

Its about 17 joules...aprox 12 fpe.

Will this be enough to peer trough their armoured wing and get to the heart and lung?

At 17 meters the pellet will burry itself completely in  peice of wood.

The rifle will be used for short distance hunting in peoples' gardens.

In .22 and 177 I sometimes get a heart/lung shot that doesnt drop them dead and they manage to getaway and die 10 minutes later. Headshot istn always possible cos they keep moving their heads while eating.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, charlie caller said:

It should flatten them, correct me if I am wrong, but do you have no power limit in Holland? If so why not tune it to xxftlbs the more power the better I say, if you can.

We have no power limit.

Ive tested the rifle in different power settings.

In around 12 foot pound the rifle shoots at its best.

Its super smooth in 12 ftlbs. Super quiet and the rifle doesnt move.

You said it should flatten them.......

Do you mean it would eliminate them?

Edited by dutchjozef
15 hours ago, dutchjozef said:

Ive got my hw85 rebarreled with a .25

Its about 17 joules...aprox 12 fpe.

Will this be enough to peer trough their armoured wing and get to the heart and lung?

At 17 meters the pellet will burry itself completely in  peice of wood.

The rifle will be used for short distance hunting in peoples' gardens.

In .22 and 177 I sometimes get a heart/lung shot that doesnt drop them dead and they manage to getaway and die 10 minutes later. Headshot istn always possible cos they keep moving their heads while eating.

If you put it in the right place it will try to work!!!!!  As mentioned, shot placement is critical.  A lot of rimfire ammo has issues with Canada Goose feathers, so you don't shoot it there!

A .25 tends to have a lot of thump but limited penetration on many things, especially in 12ft lb.

If it doesn't work on a consistent basis then go back to a .22, get a PCP and up the power, you don't need a .25 for Jackdaw, and especially not a higher power springer!

1 hour ago, mark williams said:

Any calibre hitting these vitals is "Good night Vienna".

IMG_1176.JPG.6f1107f0bc194676b2349decfc62f5c7.JPG

Put some serious range time in with a sub 12 ft/lb .25  Jozef as the trajectory must be like throwing a house brick, under arm.

Good luck.

He,s. Right jozef,. I have a sub 12fpe 25cal bsa r10.. And trajectory is loopy, the more practice the better, but I've had head shot rabbits upto 40yds, so no worries at 15-20yds ? 

Thanks guys, thats all I wanted to know!

I normally hunt with 177 or 22. 

Cos of  the movement of the heads during feedining I reckoned I need to shoot them in the body. Thats why I changed a barrel of a non_competition hobby rifle. Its in peoples gardens so its very short distances.  At farmers grounds one of our heavilly tuned competion rifles will be used.

We had that weihrauch hw85, brand new and wasnt usesed at all. It shoots sooooooooo smooth......its unbelievable. But when I did the penetration test I was really conserned it would not penetrate jackdaw or pigeon. 

On ‎04‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 05:09, dutchjozef said:

Thanks guys, thats all I wanted to know!

I normally hunt with 177 or 22. 

Cos of  the movement of the heads during feedining I reckoned I need to shoot them in the body. Thats why I changed a barrel of a non_competition hobby rifle. Its in peoples gardens so its very short distances.  At farmers grounds one of our heavilly tuned competion rifles will be used.

We had that weihrauch hw85, brand new and wasnt usesed at all. It shoots sooooooooo smooth......its unbelievable. But when I did the penetration test I was really conserned it would not penetrate jackdaw or pigeon. 

So...how is the .25 performing?

I once used a cheap Springer that was doing 650 FPS with a h&n trophy about 21grn. It was an awesome bit of kit and flattened stuff easily.

It shot like a sub12 22 trajectory wise.

It also shot the 30grn Superdomes to 30 yds pretty flat too.