Out on New Permission Tonight

Just had a great night with the lamp. New land with loads of rabbits, had the first bunny in the bag within less than a minute. Sometimes it was hard to know which rabbit to follow, due to the numbers. I stopped at 9 as that's about as many as I can deal with easily. This is my dogs first proper season and he's coming on well, pushing them away from the hedges and showing great prey drive and returning after misses. Great night overall.

Sorry to those who are struggling to find the numbers elsewhere in the country, hopefully numbers will recover sooner rather than later.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Attaboy said:

Just had a great night with the lamp. New land with loads of rabbits, had the first bunny in the bag within less than a minute. Sometimes it was hard to know which rabbit to follow, due to the numbers. I stopped at 9 as that's about as many as I can deal with easily. This is my dogs first proper season and he's coming on well, pushing them away from the hedges and showing great prey drive and returning after misses. Great night overall.

Sorry to those who are struggling to find the numbers elsewhere in the country, hopefully numbers will recover sooner rather than later.

Well played boy 

6 hours ago, Rusky1984 said:

I would be over the moon with 9 in the bag I have to walk miles for three or four rabbits a night good luck with the rest of the season mate

I see you're from Northumberland Rusky, I'm from ashington, live in Cornwall now. I would have thought there'd be plenty of rabbits around up there. Was hoping to get out when I come home for Christmas ?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Andrewreynoldshunting said:

Great to hear mate your dog seems to be doing the buisness. How's the retrieve? How's your dog bred?

I feel terrible catching the numbers knowing lads are struggling for a few. Last time we got 41 with one dog. But we travel 300 mile to get them numbers. 

I would travel the length of the country if if I had the land to travel to av had my car smashed up going to places that i did not have permission on i can't afford for that to happen again. So I just work the land I have it had good numbers of rabbits last season but there thin on the ground this season still plenty foxes,hare and deer about 

6 hours ago, Andrewreynoldshunting said:

Great to hear mate your dog seems to be doing the buisness. How's the retrieve? How's your dog bred?

I feel terrible catching the numbers knowing lads are struggling for a few. Last time we got 41 with one dog. But we travel 300 mile to get them numbers. 

If you really feel that bad about it invite a brace of crossdressing bean eaters onto the ground 

I promise you feel much better 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
18 hours ago, Attaboy said:

Sounds good fella. Good to hear someone having the sense to know when enough is enough, without pushing a young dog too far. Top man ?

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Andrewreynoldshunting said:

Thanks, retrieve is hit and miss and he's a bit hard mouthed but he's my first lurcher so probably more down to my inexperience. He's a lurcher to lurcher with a lot of whippet, 23" ats.

Wow 300 miles! I didnt know how lucky I am. This new land is just a few miles away. Have to be careful to avoid electric fencing though.

31 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

Sounds like a good spot you've got yourself not much this side of the Tamar I've abit of permission Cornwall side but bloody rifle lads nail them!! Good to hear there are still places that hold numbers 

I was chuffed when I found it and even happier when I got the permission☺. Really nice landowner who I think I'll get on well with.

5 minutes ago, Saltmoon said:

My old bullx got shocked a couple of times of fencing he soon learnt on that bit of land not to go flying into hedges 

That's good to hear, a lab near us got caught in poultry netting and he's now badly messed up so I'm a bit worried about the fencing but most of it is off except where the cattle are folded. He usually ducks under it anyway, one advantage of a smaller dog.

10 minutes ago, Attaboy said:

That's good to hear, a lab near us got caught in poultry netting and he's now badly messed up so I'm a bit worried about the fencing but most of it is off except where the cattle are folded. He usually ducks under it anyway, one advantage of a smaller dog.

Yeah mine never got tangled up just one or two bolts then he was gone but slowed him down into the hedge he used to go full on into anything so was good long term