Terrier kennel run sizes

Just seeing what size runs you boys would think was enough for a terrier, I have currently got about 10ft x 5ft slabbed area with a box in which I have my terrier bitch and pup in but the pup is getting older I think I’m asking for trouble keeping them In together, was thinking of making up something new, but to have two runs with boxes In would mean two 5ft by 5ft squares would this be too small? It’s only going to be for the next 5-6 months as we are moving and block kennels with runs will be built. Any advice will be appreciated.

ATB 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have my terriers in 6x4, the bitch there at the end is in the lurchers pen which is a 6x6, more than brought room, mine get a vet an hour a day each walk and the odd run round the garden when I go o

Got the pens finished today, just in time for a good down pour 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Francie said:

That should be fine pal, as long as you get them out, youve the right idea, nearly always ends in a disaster kenneling dogs together atb

Yeah that's it mate all my dogs are fine when out in garden and out and about, but ino they aren't quiet as tolerant when it comes to being in the kennel.

my terriers are in separate runs 4ft x 4ft with small plastic barrels with a board on top to sit up on.they get the run of the yard when someones about.if you got one that's noisy then a few squirts with the hosepipe soon sort them out lol?Screenshot_20181203-180014_Gallery.jpg.9e1231b3ba166f24a9aae0bda1da1190.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

my terriers are in separate runs 4ft x 4ft with small plastic barrels with a board on top to sit up on.they get the run of the yard when someones about.if you got one that's noisy then a few squirts with the hosepipe soon sort them out lol?Screenshot_20181203-180014_Gallery.jpg.9e1231b3ba166f24a9aae0bda1da1190.jpg

Yeah I was just trying to weigh it up as I’ve just ordered some 1.5m  galvanised panels so going to use them. The pup learnt the lesson when he tried it mate I’ve only got to come to the conservatory window if he makes a Noise and he’s off like a shot 

When I first started I made my run 10ft square for one lurcher . I had a camera on the pen and when someone tried to get in the backyard I watched the camera back . From about 8 in the morning till 7 at night the dog got out once for a piss then got back in its bed then once when someone tried getting through the gate . ..if there getting out for a walk and excessive you don’t need massive pens . 

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, Elchapo said:

When I first started I made my run 10ft square for one lurcher . I had a camera on the pen and when someone tried to get in the backyard I watched the camera back . From about 8 in the morning till 7 at night the dog got out once for a piss then got back in its bed then once when someone tried getting through the gate . ..if there getting out for a walk and excessive you don’t need massive pens . 

My lurchers the same mate,only see them in the run when I'm doing something in the yard other than that they in there  boxs,one will sleep out in run in summer on peace carpet.as for emptying themselves in run one will but other one refused so had to put some fake turf one corner and I just swop it andpressure wash dirty one .atb

• Like 2

My grandad used to keep greyhounds and he had 6 3x6 kennels and just one large paddock the would go out in a few times a day other than that they are lazy dogs they just want to sleep untill its time to go for a walk then eat and strsight back to sleep.....sounds kushty to me

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Mr r3d said:

Really nice mate wad it a hard build?

Nah mate not to bad wasn’t massively precise with measurement all measured in cm no mm, half was pretty much already done with buying the front and centre panels. Still got to ply the inside of the sides incase they fancy there chances trying to chew there way out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • 1 month later...