Whippet

23 minutes ago, Blackdog92 said:

I always thought whippets were just rabbiting dogs. Until we got this fella, they can really surprise you and not just once in a blue moon but consistently surprise you!

7D3A1DF0-4BAE-4C08-A460-13AA3FD87428.jpeg.69771da07d1e1c6fd9efd4cee292f2ac.jpeg

Is he a KC whippet? What size is he? I like the idea of a whippet but how do they cope with rain & cold weather & been kennelled out side?.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always thought whippets were just rabbiting dogs. Until we got this fella, they can really surprise you and not just once in a blue moon but consistently surprise you!  

RIP wizz 

Seen Whippets take most things even margarita pizzas single handed  ?

Posted Images

On 30/11/2018 at 21:57, brian c said:

I've heard of whippets under 20 inches caught hares pre ban had anyone witnessed this ? 

Had a 19” whippet bitch catch a few hare, only in small fields and poor hares though. She baled into a few bolted foxes but that soon stopped one day when she got the sharp end ? also know a lad that kept a beddy whippet bitch, it did everything, from rabbiting to a bullx job.

4 minutes ago, rob284 said:

Had a 19” whippet bitch catch a few hare, only in small fields and poor hares though. She baled into a few bolted foxes but that soon stopped one day when she got the sharp end ?

Have you owned whippet lurchers? If so which do you prefer whippet or whippet crosses?.

43 minutes ago, Str said:

Is he a KC whippet? What size is he? I like the idea of a whippet but how do they cope with rain & cold weather & been kennelled out side?.

He’s not kc I believe his lines are mike brown and nimrodel and he’s 22tts. 

Obviously there not not going to be as resilient to the harsh weather like beddy or collie x type. As long as he’s doing something the weather doesn’t bother him but they do get a bit fed up if your stood about in it a while, he’s put some cold days in on the fell with me while I’ve been working though. If by kennel you mean on the arm chair by the fire then he copes with that fine, I got him for the missus so she could have a pet that I can still work. 

I don’t think I would keep one for my sole running dog for various reasons but I am definitely a convert to the whippets, as long as her indoors likes em we will probably always have one knocking about. 

4A0AE062-69CC-41E0-B4EA-0E876C4B033C.jpeg.057a25e5af5ed5d8d284669eafb6acc5.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Str said:

Have you owned whippet lurchers? If so which do you prefer whippet or whippet crosses?.

Had the whippet and ran a few whippet crosses, whippet crosses are a lot hardier and more rugged, the whippet was very biddable but didn’t have that terrier attitude!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Blackdog92 said:

He’s not kc I believe his lines are mike brown and nimrodel and he’s 22tts. 

Obviously there not not going to be as resilient to the harsh weather like beddy or collie x type. As long as he’s doing something the weather doesn’t bother him but they do get a bit fed up if your stood about in it a while, he’s put some cold days in on the fell with me while I’ve been working though. If by kennel you mean on the arm chair by the fire then he copes with that fine, I got him for the missus so she could have a pet that I can still work. 

I don’t think I would keep one for my sole running dog for various reasons but I am definitely a convert to the whippets, as long as her indoors likes em we will probably always have one knocking about. 

4A0AE062-69CC-41E0-B4EA-0E876C4B033C.jpeg.057a25e5af5ed5d8d284669eafb6acc5.jpeg

Regarding the won't be as weather hardy as a whippet with collie or bedlington in it.....

I had a lovely whippet when I was a lad, he had good skin for a whippet, in fact he only tore his skin once, but that aside he was much hardier regarding weather than one of my current lurchers. She is whippet/bedlington x collie/greyhound/whippet.She is without doubt the most nesh dog I've owned, I do believe not all of the litter were like this though......I just got the short straw!

Edited by Shortstraw
36 minutes ago, rob284 said:

Had the whippet and ran a few whippet crosses, whippet crosses are a lot hardier and more rugged, the whippet was very biddable but didn’t have that terrier attitude!

Wow,,,,,that surprised me......my whippet was a right little hard Sod......very terrier like. In fact both my whippet cross lurchers don't have the fire in the belly that little fella had. 

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Wow,,,,,that surprised me......my whippet was a right little hard Sod......very terrier like. In fact both my whippet cross lurchers don't have the fire in the belly that little fella had. 

You get the odd goodun in any breeding same as you get the odd bad one. My whippet wasn’t afraid of the cold or the bushes but wasn’t anything like a beddy whippet

6 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Regarding the won't be as weather hardy as a whippet with collie or bedlington in it.....

I had a lovely whippet when I was a lad, he had good skin for a whippet, in fact he only tore his skin once, but that aside he was much hardier regarding weather than one of my current lurchers. She is whippet/bedlington x collie/greyhound/whippet.She is without doubt the most nesh dog I've owned, I do believe not all of the litter were like this though......I just got the short straw!

Your right I shouldn’t have used such a sweeping statement, I was just generalising. 

Tbh, the whippets had far less injuries than the lurcher. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, stevo79 said:

Here’s my whippet, accidental mating with lurcher. Was looking forward to getting her out but not now. Her dam was a 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy her sire racing whippet. 

52AACC83-5A73-483B-BFFD-A35DD866CB2F.jpeg

Looks a nice litter how big was the lurcher sire

On 10/12/2018 at 22:57, Gooner said:

Looks a nice litter how big was the lurcher sire

I’m broody for another dog...you got pups going or they all taken? I have a first cross Beddy Whippet dog he punches well above his weight and is absolutely fearless. Bumped into something which well outweighed him and he didn’t shy away one bit. He’s a right game little fella. Only 14 month old at the minute and more than happy with him. Next season he gonna be mustard I’m sure. I underestimated this dog Thinking he’s only a little Whippet cross but he’s shown me they have more fire than meets the eye. Here he is on the left.

B5CABDAE-30EB-4BA6-9A0D-E15A298C8F72.jpeg