The demise of the English/Irish greyhound.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dual purpose greyhounds, late 1940s-50s these were my wife’s grandparents.

In my experience track dog's tend to be smaller, lighter and have more stamina than Park coursing greyhounds. So unless you're just after size and sprinting power for big quarry then I'd go for a soun

A well bred coursing Irish greyhound goes a long way it's alright people saying use proven lurcher to proven lurcher but after abit of time your always gona need to stick a bit of pure running dog in

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, sandymere said:

Have stamina and feet but have they the speed to carry a cross to a non sight hound?  To my mind it would depend on dog and quarry. Historically they're mixed with greyhound to make top coursing dogs but are outstanding athletes in their own right.

The galgos likely had an infusion of saluki type blood about a 1000 years ago.

Yas no what they say going back ta the origins his a good bet some a them galagos look to have recent saluki blood nay a fecking thousand yrs ago the saluki the older breed .and some look like eighties British coursing breds atb bill

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, rob284 said:

Heard someone say racing greyhounds are better in a lurcher than a coursing greyhound, what’s your opinions based on experience.

I can only speak of fox dogs rob and given the choice I’d go for a coursing greyhound every time. 

1 minute ago, billhardy said:

Yas no what they say going back ta the origins his a good bet some a them galagos look to have recent saluki blood nay a fecking thousand yrs ago the saluki the older breed .and some look like eighties British coursing breds atb bill

The moors ruled much of Spain from 711 until 1085 so plenty of Arab blood was likely brought in. All the sighhounds likely have a common ancestry.

6 minutes ago, sandymere said:

The moors ruled much of Spain from 711 until 1085 so plenty of Arab blood was likely brought in. All the sighhounds likely have a common ancestry.

Sloughi blood more than saluki blood though, but like you say, both breeds supposedly common ancestry

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Nobody going to explain why the coursing greyhound is accident prone then??? 

Too big and bulky, can't handle their speed and size as well as smaller greyhounds

Edited by shaaark
9 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Too big and bulky

I’ve ran a few over the years shaark and never found them any worse for injuries than any other runner I’ve ever had, if they are raised right they are just like any other fast lurcher. 

Edited by dogmandont
1 hour ago, rob284 said:

Heard someone say racing greyhounds are better in a lurcher than a coursing greyhound, what’s your opinions based on experience.

in my opinon it has to all happen in the first field in my part of the country. the hound is only adding speed and ur spiltting hairs when it comes to which to go for coursing or track to much is made of it. 

Edited by stonewall
25 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

I’ve ran a few over the years shaark and never found them any worse for injuries than any other runner I’ve ever had, if they are raised right they are just like any other fast lurcher. 

18 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Is that from experience shaark.

Yeah, had a few over the years, and the smaller lighter ones were generally less prone to injuries. But like you say, same with most dogs, bringing them up in the environment/conditions you intend to work them in is key

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Sort of agree with that too. Had a lurcher bitch, quite a few years ago now, that was showing good signs as a working dog, up until she got to about 2 1/2 years old. But she didn't level out weightwise, and was very powerfully built, 29" tts 80lbs, and never learnt to use her speed and weight to her advantage. Caught a few things, but on rabbits she wasn't even fairly useful

• Like 1