can you work a whippet with pheasants?

16 minutes ago, Dog lover62 said:

Am getting a puppy whippet soon and want to join in with local pheasant shoot. Instead of picking up i would like to beat with my dog and want to know if they can be trained to do this.

? It can be done, but once a dog has been schooled in other disciplines, it does get a bit confusing for them...:yes:

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Wideboy said:

Yes, take it on the beating line...…...but when it comes across the radio that there is a whippet coursing a roe in front of the line of guns you might think different?

Why don't ya try helping the lad instead of giving some smart arse comment?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

It’s not smart, it’s what will probably happen. You can tell me I’m wrong but I’m not, when that whippet is near the flushing point and smells those delicious smells that a deer has to any dog, he’ll be flat out!! He could either use the dog for what it’s bred for or break it to four legged creatures. 

Yeah, mine are pretty straight rabbit dogs but are arseholes when deer or pigs are around,so try to avoid these areas. 

6 minutes ago, Wideboy said:

It’s not smart, it’s what will probably happen. You can tell me I’m wrong but I’m not, when that whippet is near the flushing point and smells those delicious smells that a deer has to any dog, he’ll be flat out!! He could either use the dog for what it’s bred for or break it to four legged creatures. 

Now THAT's the reply he was looking for..

• 3 weeks later...

If you put some time into the dogs training so he comes back well and sits still under pressure he will be fine but as an insurance put him on the lead as you are  half to three quarters way through the drive ,you won’t be on your own there will only be a few we’ll trained dogs off the lead the rest will be pulling there owners all over the place some will be charging around picking birds up around the guns ,always remember it’s a whippet and you will be fine.