Thermal Targets

Anyone delved into devising thermal targets? I'm finding it a nightmare, and tried many, many solutions to get a decent image: Ranging from heating up metal, charcoal burner, strips of reflective tape (only works in decent sunlight), etc.

Any suggestions for a home made target?

What I do is cut a 1"-2" square of tin foil stick it on a cardboard box at 50yds, if on the white hot setting it will show black, I then get a rough zero using this. Once on target, I move the target out further using a drawing pin, felt nail, screw, etc into a board with a smaller size, don't push it right in or you will heat the box/board, then heat it with a lighter just the tip (requires a friend, give it 15 seconds to cool the initial excess heat and him/her to get out the way, then fine tune your zero on it at 100yds...

Thermal targets are pretty much pointless unless you want to. waste money a roll of good quality foil duct tape would be a better and cheaper spend..

On 29/11/2018 at 19:05, si brown said:

these are cheap enough

https://www.scottcountry.co.uk/thermal-imaging/thermal-imaging-accessories/thermbright-20mm-passive-thermal-target-patches-sa/

my mate uses tin foil, I bet these patches are similar!

fresh boiled eggs are good too

But will they work at night si?

I reckon if you cut squares out of foil duct tape and stick em on top of each other to maybe an inch thick and stick em in a cup of hot water from a flask when ready to zero might do the job and last long enough.

30 minutes ago, toxo said:

But will they work at night si?

I reckon if you cut squares out of foil duct tape and stick em on top of each other to maybe an inch thick and stick em in a cup of hot water from a flask when ready to zero might do the job and last long enough.

my mate checks his zero on a box with tin foil when we've been out at night!

and when I've had a go with it ive checked  zero by shooting a telegraph pole and impact point stands out mile

My pal does the same but last time out it just didn't work and he ended up using some hand warmer pads that heat chemically. He was testing different ammo for a new rifle so I don't know if the heat just went out of the foil after a while?

Problem with most solutions is, if the bullet strikes the heat source, its trashed! I've found silver tape a bit hit and miss. If its a cold dull day, then the tape doesn't heat up with the sun and remains "grey"  - the same as the cardboard or whatever you're using.

I've started experimenting with ice cubes, which last longer in winter. I'm thinking a few left in a cool box and use a small freezer bag pinned onto cardboard or similar. Should work in all but ice cold days to give sufficient thermal difference.

Edited by Lamp_Shy
edit

Never had a problem with tin foil, just cut it bigger if you cannot see it, then just fine tune contrast/brightness to suit , better to increase mag digitally also to zero , I wouldn't waste money on big daft thermal targets... a lot just use hand warmers out of the pound shop, never used them personally though,.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...