3 hours ago, socks said:

Straw soldiers ??? You are dismissing acid reflux even though I’ve had a dog with this and the symptoms were exactly the same and the fact that my suggestions are working is down to coincidence according to you .... just because your a nurse doesn’t mean you are the oracle of all things medical ..........

No I was looking at the history and coming to an opinion. 

As to the  "I've had a dog with this" method of diagnosis, if you have a lame dog and find a thorn are all lame dogs suffering from a thorn? The history is the key. In this case the history is of an acute problem, if the history had been one of  a chronic problem ie gradual weight loss, vomiting, gastric pain, reduced appetite  etc for a period of time prior to the acute episode I'd have agreed with you. And as he is an experienced owner I guessed he would have picked those sort of symptoms up and included them in his post.

?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd be getting x rays and CT scan if you can afford it, or maybe a look down her gullet with a camera? Sounds more than acid reflux to me.

I’m obviously not a vet but that is the exact same thing one of my dogs was doing and everything else you describe and it was acid reflux ......

+1  Sounds like a bit of bone stuck in her throat to me. Had the same with a terrier.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv never had one with it, luckily but I do have reflux meself to due too much port an kebabs ?? give dog a Zantac an if that don’t sort it try a Lansoprazole ?

Lots are changing lo omeprazole but id go for lansoprazole  also.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9930385/

I'm a know it all that knows where to look and what to look for ?

37 minutes ago, socks said:

Hers another life lesson ... trying to be a c**t will catch up with you sooner or later ........

You need to learn to take yourself a little less serious. Its a forum and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one but think each others stink. (Simone Elkeles)

There's no definitive right answer in these cases but physiology etc is my forte, surely you have learned that by now?

1 hour ago, sandymere said:

You need to learn to take yourself a little less serious. Its a forum and opinions are like assholes, everyone has one but think each others stink. (Simone Elkeles)

There's no definitive right answer in these cases but physiology etc is my forte, surely you have learned that by now?

What I’ve learned is that because you are in the medical profession and are an expert at google you think your the oracle on all things medical even if somebody has had experience of an ailment ... but you can’t just debate anything or put your point across you have to try and belittle people and use that condescending fukcing arrogant tone to try and be the man ... if you spoke to people that way face to face you would get slapped into next week ... but hey it’s the internet so anybody can be the fukcing big man without repercussions can’t they ...... 

Socks you seem unable to disagree without making narky comments, then when you get a narky reply start on with the slapping comments. Its a shame and now it's  just spoiling a thread.

Edited by sandymere

I must admit I'd not realised that dogs could get late onset acid reflux. What causes a 6 year old dog to suddenly start getting it?     I saw exactly the symptoms the dog displays in the video after one of my lurchers got either a grass seed or something else sharp stuck in her throat. The dog was scoped  and although the vet found nothing there was a small amount of recent damage to the lining of the oesophagus which suggested there had been and she'd managed to dislodge it herself but the resulting soreness was still there. As there was no foreign object still in the gullet all the vet did was to prescribe painkillers for a few days until the irritation lessened. The dog got better over a few days and never gulped or gagged again, which is why I suggested having a look down her gullet.  Of course it might have been due to something else: maybe a sore throat due to a virus: so many things can share the same symptoms and sometimes we never get to the root of the issue.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, skycat said:

I must admit I'd not realised that dogs could get late onset acid reflux. What causes a 6 year old dog to suddenly start getting it?     I saw exactly the symptoms the dog displays in the video after one of my lurchers got either a grass seed or something else sharp stuck in her throat. The dog was scoped  and although the vet found nothing there was a small amount of recent damage to the lining of the oesophagus which suggested there had been and she'd managed to dislodge it herself but the resulting soreness was still there. As there was no foreign object still in the gullet all the vet did was to prescribe painkillers for a few days until the irritation lessened. The dog got better over a few days and never gulped or gagged again, which is why I suggested having a look down her gullet.  Of course it might have been due to something else: maybe a sore throat due to a virus: so many things can share the same symptoms and sometimes we never get to the root of the issue.  

Indeed symptoms are only ever part of the picture, many problems present with similar symptoms but are caused by different problems.

As to reflux it would appear to be more common in pups as they growing but as with heart murmurs but most grow out of it. In adults it is likely a long term problem that's been in the background for some time. Gastric problems in dogs are likely more common than people realize with gastritis at the top of the list.

Edit to expand.

Edited by sandymere

Indeed Casso and with the recent history of swallowing bones trauma is a likely candidate. As it's settling hopefully just minor damage rather than a full depth puncture.

Ps. There's risk to feeding bone but there's risks to everything, personally I feel the benefits outweigh the risks if done with a little common sense?

Edited by sandymere
2 hours ago, sandymere said:

Socks you seem unable to disagree without making narky comments, then when you get a narky reply start on with the slapping comments. Its a shame and now it's  just spoiling a thread.

And you are unable to put your point across without being a sanctimonious arrogant know all .....

1 hour ago, socks said:

And you are unable to put your point across without being a sanctimonious arrogant know all .....

?

Indeed but know my stuff, it's all in the history.

"Physicians were asked to predict their diagnosis after taking just the history, and then again after performing the history with the physical exam.6 In 66 of the patients studied, an accurate diagnosis was predicted based solely on the medical history.6 It is now estimated that between 70% to 90% of medical diagnoses can be determined by the history alone; in addition to being one of the oldest diagnostic tools, a comprehensive history is one of the most reliable.5"

from

https://www.nursingcenter.com/cearticle?an=00006205-201404000-00006&Journal_ID=54012&Issue_ID=2409928

Note, when I suggested my initial thoughts re gastroenteritis and Joe  gave more info I reviewed my thoughts. I didn't just stick doggedly to my initial statement.?

Edited by sandymere