• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd be getting x rays and CT scan if you can afford it, or maybe a look down her gullet with a camera? Sounds more than acid reflux to me.

I’m obviously not a vet but that is the exact same thing one of my dogs was doing and everything else you describe and it was acid reflux ......

+1  Sounds like a bit of bone stuck in her throat to me. Had the same with a terrier.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Joe1888 said:

Continued to give her the stuff vet prescribed , bought one of those raised feeders and fed her in smaller portions, only had beef defrosted at the time .. Will defrost tripe ( Can tripe be refrozen and fed again later ) other than that have some gain 28 but will try get some chicken later. 

She's had the odd random gulp but there's deffenetly an improvement,  a lot better after eating at the moment to.

Fingers crossed she's on the mend , thanks for taking the time to help 

Any food can be defrosted and refrozen if done when it's still fresh. Even for human consumption. The problem lies where you thaw out food leave it in fridge for a few days and then refreeze.

Incorrect acid reflux can be caused by a few different factors and is an ailment in its own right. The high temperature will be because of the acid reflux ... as I stated I’ve had a dog suffer from this so I have first hand experience ........

• Like 2
17 hours ago, socks said:

Incorrect acid reflux can be caused by a few different factors and is an ailment in its own right. The high temperature will be because of the acid reflux ... as I stated I’ve had a dog suffer from this so I have first hand experience ........

Don't think I said reflux had only one cause, said it was a symptom but a symptom of a number of problems. 

The commonest being incompetence of the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach allowing stomach acid to reflux into the throat. This burns hence the term heartburn.

This is a chronic rather than an acute problem which doesn't fit with either the history or presentation in this case which is acute.

My differentials would be.

1.Gastroenteritis.

2. Poisoning

3.Foreign object (bone lodged).

4.Trauma from bone transit.

Eating grass in winter, temp, vomiting, blood, gastric disturbance (hiccups etc) all suggest the top two.

Gulping, vomiting, blood, go with the bottom two. 

Edit to add.

Ps as there's a genetic predisposition I wouldn't breed from a dog that suffers with reflux.

Edited by sandymere
5 hours ago, sandymere said:

Don't think I said reflux had only one cause, said it was a symptom but a symptom of a number of problems. 

The commonest being incompetence of the sphincter muscle at the top of the stomach allowing stomach acid to reflux into the throat. This burns hence the term heartburn.

This is a chronic rather than an acute problem which doesn't fit with either the history or presentation in this case which is acute.

My differentials would be.

1.Gastroenteritis.

2. Poisoning

3.Foreign object (bone lodged).

4.Trauma from bone transit.

Eating grass in winter, temp, vomiting, blood, gastric disturbance (hiccups etc) all suggest the top two.

Gulping, vomiting, blood, go with the bottom two. 

Edit to add.

Ps as there's a genetic predisposition I wouldn't breed from a dog that suffers with reflux.

Nice bit of googling Sandy ... however I am talking from experience as one of my dogs had this acted exactly the same as the dog in the video .... let’s see what the op has to say ... has smaller meals in raised bowl worked ??? 

On 30/11/2018 at 20:52, socks said:

Nice bit of googling Sandy ... however I am talking from experience as one of my dogs had this acted exactly the same as the dog in the video .... let’s see what the op has to say ... has smaller meals in raised bowl worked ??? 

LOL, speaks the word of Dr Socks. 

It will get better with or without a raised bowl because its likely not being caused by reflux , i doubt very much that the dog has a problem with its sphincter?. It will improve if either a mild case of gastroenteritis or mild trauma from swallowing a bit of bone it didn't properly crunch up prior to swallowing. This takes no Googling on my part as you very well know but linked to what I do for a living.

Your medical advice is well meaning but suffers from a large dose of Dunning Kruger....................

Edited by sandymere
15 hours ago, Joe1888 said:

not had a repeat of day 1-2 ,so far so good, seen a couple of gulps today/yesterday. she does seem better, still taking it easy for now. cheers

Glad it's settling, most stuff does with a  little dose of time and some rest ?

2 minutes ago, sandymere said:

LOL, speaks the word of Dr Socks. 

It will get better with or without a raised bowl because its no being caused by reflux , i doubt very much that the dog has a problem with its sphincter?. It will improve if either a mild care of gastroenteritis or mild trauma from swallowing a bit of bone it didn't properly crunch up prior to swallowing.

No Googling required on my part as you very well know but linked to what I do for a living.

Your medical advice is well meaning but suffers from a large dose of Dunning Kruger....................

So are you saying that dogs can’t suffer from acid reflux? Are you saying the symptoms displayed by the dog are not consistent with acid reflux? And are you saying raising a dogs bowl and feeding smaller meals through the day are not remedies to acid reflux?  

2 minutes ago, socks said:

So are you saying that dogs can’t suffer from acid reflux? Are you saying the symptoms displayed by the dog are not consistent with acid reflux? And are you saying raising a dogs bowl and feeding smaller meals through the day are not remedies to acid reflux?  

1. Where did I say dogs don't suffer with acid reflux???  (You looking for straw soldiers again?)

2. Could be but unlikely with the presentation as i demonstrated a couple of posts back. ( should never take the 1st guess but look at the history and symptoms then come up with likely causes).

3. Where did i say  anything about management of acid reflux?? As I feel it unlikely in this case i didn't get into management. (Still no straw soldiers).

Straw soldiers ??? You are dismissing acid reflux even though I’ve had a dog with this and the symptoms were exactly the same and the fact that my suggestions are working is down to coincidence according to you .... just because your a nurse doesn’t mean you are the oracle of all things medical ..........

24 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I admit I know fcuk all an would be at me vet an taking his word for this? so I’m out a this one ??

And I took a dog with the exact same thing to a vet hence the reason I know what it is lol ........