Having some trouble with my 6 year old lurcher bitch.

All three lurchers were fed some rabbit two nights ago. About and hour, maybe hour and half later she started recthing really loud, pacing around licking the floor. After abit she brought up food, some bone, abit of grass and meat i think. She continued to keep retching, gulping ( exagerated swalloning as vet called it) and licking the floor, when taking out into garden she would try wolf down as much grass as could get to.

Took her to the vets at 2 am, vet thought it was because she brought up bones, i explained it started before. she said her temp was abit high but it didnt seem any bones were caught and that i was walking her on slip lead without any problems ( she tends to pull at times ) she thought it ruled that out.  she was given something for anti sickness and acid as had a loud stomach.

Next day , she slept most of the day, no really problems, seemed fine in her self, usual playfull etc. I gave her some water slighty mixed with milk anda few mins later she started to gulp, head streched forward and swollowing. Phoned vets and explained the problem is returning but not on the scale as night before. said she wants to eat etc and is herself. Gave her alittle raw beef before we left for vets and a few mins later after eating she started gulping again, licking lips costant..

Vet said she had a high temp of 39.( cant mind rest), she was given stuff for temp and any possible swelling to kneck as there was some redness in top of mouth and a couple scratches  and to moniter her and if things dont improve she might need to stay in.   

once home for an hour she was given some more raw beef, again, eaten no problem, fast as she always eats. then a few minutes later she started gulping, whining, alittle shakey, and licking the floor. this passed after a 15-20 mins. she has slept no problem, noticed a couple gulps this morning but seems herself..

hope the above makes some sense, shes eaten loads of bones and rabbit over the years with no problems, sometimes been sick, but no problem after.  she was out for alittle ferreting 1-2 days before and seemed ok, did notice alittle grass eating then and rolled in shit ??, apart from that me and mrs noticed although she seemed ok after ferreting, she did seem alit more chilled, reserved, keeping to herself. i just put it down to first bit of work for a wee while.

am going to try feed her later, hopfully theres an improvement or might need to be another vet trip,, not been on THL for sometime, hope all is well, know there is a few knowledgeable members, any helps appreciated.

edit: one more thing to note, she eats different from other 2 lurchers, probably the bloody the bullcross gene lol, she will crunch/eat bone/meat is double time others will ( not with dry), thought maybe this time bone might have scratched on way down? there was no signs of any trouble eating, just a guess

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd be getting x rays and CT scan if you can afford it, or maybe a look down her gullet with a camera? Sounds more than acid reflux to me.

I’m obviously not a vet but that is the exact same thing one of my dogs was doing and everything else you describe and it was acid reflux ......

+1  Sounds like a bit of bone stuck in her throat to me. Had the same with a terrier.

Posted Images

Sounds like a case of severe acid reflux to me ... she should be fed and watered with a raised bowl and given her food bit by bit so she can’t gulp down to much air ... try that and see if it improves over a few days. Also give her food that reduces acid for a few days .....

this is the height the bowl should be in relevance to the dogs height .......

2B9A8763-6A33-4FA8-B72A-B4078CD60F12.jpeg

• Like 1

The problem is protein and fat causes acid reflux so the best I found was chicken and tripe and to start with break the one meal down into three or four smaller ones if possible ... but lifting that bowl is the key ......,

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, skycat said:

I'd be getting x rays and CT scan if you can afford it, or maybe a look down her gullet with a camera? Sounds more than acid reflux to me.

+1  Sounds like a bit of bone stuck in her throat to me. Had the same with a terrier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Continued to give her the stuff vet prescribed , bought one of those raised feeders and fed her in smaller portions, only had beef defrosted at the time .. Will defrost tripe ( Can tripe be refrozen and fed again later ) other than that have some gain 28 but will try get some chicken later. 

She's had the odd random gulp but there's deffenetly an improvement,  a lot better after eating at the moment to.

Fingers crossed she's on the mend , thanks for taking the time to help 

Temperature raised, vomiting etc are classic symptoms of gastroenteritis. Sounds like she picked up a stomach bug. Hiccups etc would fit with a little residual gastritis. Usually settle without problems as long as still emptying bowels. Plain diet for a few days. 

Ps Longer term gastritis is often linked to stress.

Edited by sandymere