Dentists.

3 hours ago, stealthy1 said:

This is my point Walshie, always had a check up and scale and polish at the same dental surgery for the last 26 years, only this time the dentist tried to roll me over.  Who do you report dentists too?   They seem as elusive as doctors when you have a problem.

I'd give NHS Scotland a call. Well I wouldn't as I live in Wales, but you should. :thumbs:

I have a good mate who is a dentist. And yes, some are no different to modern vets. My basic understanding of it is that a business owns the "business" and the dentists more or less rent the chairs/rooms within the surgery. The pay a standard fixed fee and a percentage of their profits made. My mate has had many problems with his "bosses" in the past.

He will never extract a tooth if it can be saved. Often this is not cost effective. What they are meant to do is perform an extraction rather than waste hours using their skills. Bums on seats.

Another thing that has pissed off his "bosses" over the years is after an examination if the required treatment can be done for free he would tell the patient and direct to them to a relevant surgery or in some cases it is only a matter of the patient filling in the relevant NHS forms. Not good for business.

He now works in shit hole area. A place that has lost the industries that the community once depended upon and nothing has replaced it. Inhabited by life's flotsam and jetsam, the old and the lost generations. He calls his patients prawns after the Sci-fi film District 9. Some of his stories are hilarious and some heart rendering. One of the biggest problems that he has now is the availability of interpreters. Before treating a non-English speaker all the relevant paperwork must be completed in order to avoid claims coming in after the event of removing rotten dead teeth that cannot be saved.

He is a very skilled man who does not need to work there but is a good man who takes a pride in what he does and has a social conscious. Same as vets, not many good ones around about but not extinct.

• Thanks 1