Dentists.

Went to the dentists for a check up, it states that in your £21 NHS visit, you get a check up, scale and polish for the money?   When I asked about my scale and polish I was informed that it was an extra £70 and that I'd have to make another appointment.  How did it get to the point where dentists can rip you of, and there be so little you can do about it?   Or is it just me expecting to much from my over payed National Insurance.

38 minutes ago, stealthy1 said:

Went to the dentists for a check up, it states that in your £21 NHS visit, you get a check up, scale and polish for the money?   When I asked about my scale and polish I was informed that it was an extra £70 and that I'd have to make another appointment.  How did it get to the point where dentists can rip you of, and there be so little you can do about it?   Or is it just me expecting to much from my over payed National Insurance.

I recently had a wisdom extracted, check up and scale/polish for about 50 quid I think. Great service.

FYI I think NI only covers pensions and maternity leave or something.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, walshie said:

My last visit in September was £20 something and that included a scale and polish. I bet the NHS would be interested to hear that your dentist doesn't do what they are supposed to.

You're right there walshie, I paid £15 in march for mine, which was check up scale and polish

3 hours ago, stealthy1 said:

That dont sound right to me, if you had needed treatment that went up to band B that fee of £59.10 , my dad pays about £ 70 for a scale & polish buts its not an nhs dentist

• Like 2

I would have been inclined to sit there and demand what was rightfully mine to expect, it's surprising what you can get to avoid other patients seeing you make a scene, I think the issue might be the difference between an nhs dentist and a private dentist taking nhs patients, not to sure but I could find out for you if it's really important, as my daughter runs a very exclusive dental practice were the cheapest procedure they do is £2000 and the main man arrives for work in a small private plane, she often has to tell the first patient of the day he,s running a bit late due to fog on the runway ???  

2 hours ago, walshie said:

The thing is if Stealthy is registered as an NHS patient, the dentist is getting the full whack for work they aren't doing, then getting £70 on top of that. I'd be inclined to report it. 

This is my point Walshie, always had a check up and scale and polish at the same dental surgery for the last 26 years, only this time the dentist tried to roll me over.  Who do you report dentists too?   They seem as elusive as doctors when you have a problem.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, mackem said:

I remember paying £1000+ each for my kids braces so they would have perfect dentition,dentists are like doctors they put the study in at uni so they charge what they feel they are worth.

dentists are like

solicitors

estate agents

all robbing bastwards IMHO

• Haha 1