8ft Mk1 collar needed

Those 8' caps are just coax ariel plug caps about a £1 each from a television electoral shop. Just take the cap off the plug and throw the rest away . eBay and pro ferret you will get 8' foot collars 15' foot's are more like rocking horse shit and hard to come by. Fixing them is hard, clean the cap the thread the copper pin in the centre may help. On the side of transmitter on the collar near the resin block you will see a solder blob, have a look under a magnifying glass and see if there is a small copper wire broken. You may be able to re solder if it is. but all the components are moulded in the resin, and there are some very fine wires in there. Very very hard to fix.

Cheers Arry

Thanks for all the advice. Managed to get it working again after good clean. 

I noticed that the new battery I fitted also seemed to be an issue. Previous one was a G13-A and new one (that I seemed to have an issue with) was LR44. That seemed to be the right one, but either drained really quickly or maybe just a bad battery?

Is LR44 the right one? Any known issue with battery types?

8 hours ago, Cazshie said:

Napper, is the one on the left the "hand made" one that I'm seeing up on eBay?

How do they compare?

The one one left is a 15' foot collar the one on the right is an 8' foot mate. Both look like Deben collars.

Cheers Arry

54 minutes ago, Arry said:

The one one left is a 15' foot collar the one on the right is an 8' foot mate. Both look like Deben collars.

Cheers Arry

Got you. Never seen the 15' one before .. no way am I digging that far down to retrieve a "back ended" ferret :)

I was out last week and a ferret back ended 3' down and that was a task in itself. Squeezed vertically down a hole I'd dug, to my waist .. got 2 rabbits at the end of it though, after retrieving the ferret. 

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, Cazshie said:

Got you. Never seen the 15' one before .. no way am I digging that far down to retrieve a "back ended" ferret :)

I was out last week and a ferret back ended 3' down and that was a task in itself. Squeezed vertically down a hole I'd dug, to my waist .. got 2 rabbits at the end of it though, after retrieving the ferret. 

We find the 15' more handy as we do a lot of very thick hedges and is not just 15' down but 15' away from you. The ferret might be out and running up or down the hedge and you can't see it, or if the ferret has sneaked out and further down the hedge a quick walk up and down the hedge and you find where it is. Hope you get what I mean, not trying to patronise you.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, Arry said:

We find the 15' more handy as we do a lot of very thick hedges and is not just 15' down but 15' away from you. The ferret might be out and running up or down the hedge and you can't see it, or if the ferret has sneaked out and further down the hedge a quick walk up and down the hedge and you find where it is. Hope you get what I mean, not trying to patronise you.

Cheers Arry

Yes, totally get you. I stay well clear of large hedgerows for exactly that reason. Even long grass, nettles etc. is a worry, for bolt holes, on fairly open areas. 

• Like 1

dug 10 ft to a young hob ferret few seasons ago up in the highlands .....broke through for the ferret to keep backing back up the tube every time I tried to grab it?....lucky I was on a keepered estate or I would of left the prick there ,mate wanted to shoot it with his semi auto(overkill lol) but I told him f**k off "that's a 15 ft collar on him I want it back"?,i always leave 2 15 ft boxes either end of a big  warren just in case I miss netting a hole and ferret slips out ,after missing a little jill couple of years  ago  ,saw some horses other end of the field start bucking and running round....sent the lurcher bitch off to investigate ,she  sat down,ran over to find my jill trampled into the ground,f***ing gutted had my lad with me he was only 3 at the time.live and learn?

• Like 1