17hmr.

If someone I know swapped his LR for one how far on calm day could he shoot at crows and magpies?

How far on a windy day?

Do the barrels get fouled easily?

Would I ......he need a mod?

What's the heaviest bullet they do?

I'll pass on what you say ?

• Haha 4

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your .22lr is simply used for sub sonic lead ammo then there will be a lot more fouling on the HMR as its all coated.  If you use HV .22lr where much is copper coated the fouling will be little dif

17hmr. If someone I know swapped his LR for one how far on calm day could he shoot at crows and magpies? How far on a windy day? Do the barrels get fouled easily? Would I ......he

Thanks feller's. I've told him there are better things to be thinking about!   U. 

Hmmm, I use 17gr in mine but they do a 20gr, I've never tried them though! I don't get any more fouling than the lr to be honest too. I'm comfortable at 100 yards on a calm day, can't say about windy days, as I'm too soft to go out when it's windy. I'm sure a man of your standing could get another 30 - 40 yards, Errr I mean your friend! Come join us on a mouse hunt ?

Ps. I'd definitely recommend a mod too, the difference is dramatic. I'm using federal 17gr ballastic tips, they turn rabbits inside out at 80+ yards no bother.

• Like 3

I’ve shot rabbits with mine well over 150 yards, on windy days I stay under 100 if the winds strong I don’t bother, I had a round get stuck in one of mine but we put that down to a faulty round rather than a dirty barrel, ( they seem to have sorted the split neck fault now ) saying that it is a mucky little round, you will definitely need a mod, the muzzle crack is quite loud and as gav said they do 20’s but I’ve only ever used 17’s, if I was given the choice between owning a .22lr or the 17hmr I would go for the lr, if I could have both I would, I hope some of this helps your mate come to the right decision ?

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, Stavross said:

I’ve shot rabbits with mine well over 150 yards, on windy days I stay under 100 if the winds strong I don’t bother, I had a round get stuck in one of mine but we put that down to a faulty round rather than a dirty barrel, ( they seem to have sorted the split neck fault now ) saying that it is a mucky little round, you will definitely need a mod, the muzzle crack is quite loud and as gav said they do 20’s but I’ve only ever used 17’s, if I was given the choice between owning a .22lr or the 17hmr I would go for the lr, if I could have both I would, I hope some of this helps your mate come to the right decision ?

So you reckon my friend should keep his 22?

• Like 2

If your .22lr is simply used for sub sonic lead ammo then there will be a lot more fouling on the HMR as its all coated.  If you use HV .22lr where much is copper coated the fouling will be little different.....but, it will be easier to clean from a .22lr because of bullet speed and bore size.   There is no doubt you need to be careful with the bore of the .17, it is small!  My HMR is cleaned regularly and thoroughly and keeps zero, many suggest it takes 50 or more shots after a clean to get zero back, draw your own conclusions! 

I tend to use mine out to about 160 yards with a very high degree of confidence, if people are confident on further that's down to them!

Despite many suggestions to the contrary the HMR is LESS wind effected than the .22LR, but you have to take note of wind with both, and ANY caliber!

They are noisy, but so is a .22LR HV, a mod is pretty useful in my opinion.

There have been ammo issues for years with the HMR which is appalling, but it is still very popular and mine is staying put, even amongst my collection of .22lr and WMR!

:thumbs: 

• Like 5

Everyone is saying about how a mod is needed. Ok a mod will reduce the muzzle blast but there is no  mod on this planet that wiĺ suppress the crack of a bullet travelling supersonic.

13 hours ago, Gav said:

Ps. I'd definitely recommend a mod too, the difference is dramatic. I'm using federal 17gr ballastic tips, they turn rabbits inside out at 80+ yards no bother.

Unless it is just rabbit clearace or dog food, does you friend really want rabbits that look like and are like road kill mince? And the ammo is very variable with split necks, soft rounds,  crackers,  misfires and ejection problems. It depends on how accurate the shooter is and the lay of the land ect.

8 minutes ago, Meece said:

Everyone is saying about how a mod is needed. Ok a mod will reduce the muzzle blast but there is no  mod on this planet that wiĺ suppress the crack of a bullet travelling supersonic.

Unless it is just rabbit clearace or dog food, does you friend really want rabbits that look like and are like road kill mince? And the ammo is very variable with split necks, soft rounds,  crackers,  misfires and ejection problems. It depends on how accurate the shooter is and the lay of the land ect.

No sir, my friend don't want minced rabbits but I, err, he shoots them in the head any hoo.

I think he is going off the idea already!

U?

• Haha 1
29 minutes ago, Meece said:

You are correct but it takes a lot of the crack out it and saves wearing ear defenders ?

Never had any split necks or trouble with rounds so far, but hey ho now I've said it ?

• Like 2

If your friend doesn't mind reloading Nathan (which many enjoy as part of the hobby) The 17 Hornet (centerfire) is a much more versatile round than the hmr and cheaper too. Better yet for the kind of shooting you sorry, your friend does, the 17 Squirrel. Even more versatile. Bit of a faff getting it all together but once you get going, very cheap and effective.

Don't be put off by the case forming. The cases once formed last forever.

http://saubier.com/smallcaliber/17squirrel.pdf

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Tell your friend to give his head a shake and tell him it was a terrible idea.

Cue Alsone to tell your friend that a 9.3 x 74R would be preferable. :laugh:

? now that's the best advice I have heard all day ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, toxo said:

If your friend doesn't mind reloading Nathan (which many enjoy as part of the hobby) The 17 Hornet (centerfire) is a much more versatile round than the hmr and cheaper too. Better yet for the kind of shooting you sorry, your friend does, the 17 Squirrel. Even more versatile. Bit of a faff getting it all together but once you get going, very cheap and effective.

Don't be put off by the case forming. The cases once formed last forever.

http://saubier.com/smallcaliber/17squirrel.pdf

15 center fires have passed through my hands and I reloaded for them all.

I ain't doing that again just yet, maybe never.

If I was to go with anything hornet in its name it would be 22 hornet.

I use to wind it up to its limits. Load it down to WMR levels and sometimes run it on shotgun powders!

Been there, got the t-shirt bud.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, Underdog said:

15 center fires have passed through my hands and I reloaded for them all.

I ain't doing that again just yet, maybe never.

If I was to go with anything hornet in its name it would be 22 hornet.

I use to wind it up to its limits. Load it down to WMR levels and sometimes run it on shotgun powders!

Been there, got the t-shirt bud.

Sounds like your mental aberration was just a passing thing. Good to see you back to normal mate. :D