• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If your .22lr is simply used for sub sonic lead ammo then there will be a lot more fouling on the HMR as its all coated.  If you use HV .22lr where much is copper coated the fouling will be little dif

17hmr. If someone I know swapped his LR for one how far on calm day could he shoot at crows and magpies? How far on a windy day? Do the barrels get fouled easily? Would I ......he

Thanks feller's. I've told him there are better things to be thinking about!   U. 

I don’t use my hmr anywhere near as much as .22lr, but it does work well for me. I use it mainly for corvids but prefer the .22 for most stuff. .22 hornet does everything the hmr does and more for me. I still like the hmr though, just not as much as the .22 or the hornet.

• Like 2
On 27/11/2018 at 13:53, walshie said:

Tell your friend to give his head a shake and tell him it was a terrible idea.

Cue Alsone to tell your friend that a 9.3 x 74R would be preferable. :laugh:

Aww c'mon my recommendations are never that extreme Walshie. You know you need a nice mainstream .50 cal to turn them inside out. None of that EU rubbish - we're leaving that behind, it's Brexit you know. ??? Inches not millimetres as the wife would say!

Underdog, seriously, can't see why not on the HMR if the brass is getting better and it's your choice. I'd also suggest .17 hornet, but only really for fox. Far too powerful and expensive for rabbits unless taking them at extreme long range ie 250-400yds in small numbers. Even if you reload, large bags are going to keep you up all night reloading which leads to more bags but this time under your eyes... you get the idea. Give the eyes a rest and get the HMR. You know you want to.....?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
11 minutes ago, Alsone said:

Aww c'mon my recommendations are never that extreme Walshie. You know you need a nice mainstream .50 cal to turn them inside out. None of that EU rubbish - we're leaving that behind, it's Brexit you know. ??? Inches not millimetres as the wife would say!

Underdog, seriously, can't see why not on the HMR if the brass is getting better and it's your choice. I'd also suggest .17 hornet, but only really for fox. Far too powerful and expensive for rabbits unless taking them at extreme long range ie 250-400yds in small numbers. Even if you reload, large bags are going to keep you up all night reloading which leads to more bags but this time under your eyes... you get the idea. Give the eyes a rest and get the HMR. You know you want to.....?

I like.....err, my friend likes your reasoning Howsoon but no.

I been, well....my friend has been catching mice lately and they are getting bigger for certain (or was I wearing my reading glasses!), maybe the WMR will cope better should we get a band of marauding super mice!

U.

Edited by Underdog
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Alsone said:

No, "his friend" doesn't want an hmr. 

400 yard rabbits with a 17 hornet? 80 Who the hell shoots rabbits at 400 yards, let alone with a gun that couldn't do it? 

I,m glad to see you kept Nathan ,sorry Nath,s friend from the dark side ,why a man with a secure understanding of .22wmr would need to investigate such strange conundrums is beyond a simple soul like me.

I,m sure normal service has been resumed and the local bunnys will have a visit from some lead shot or PWR airpower soon :thumbs:

• Thanks 1
9 hours ago, walshie said:

No, "his friend" doesn't want an hmr. 

400 yard rabbits with a 17 hornet? 80 Who the hell shoots rabbits at 400 yards, let alone with a gun that couldn't do it? 

It's feasible. Drop is 20 inches. In fairness though 400 is over the top. I just went for the extreme limit. ?

However, 300 is a very realistic 6 inches of drop and 350 therefore, probably quite possible. I very much doubt though many would want to shoot at those ranges. Point is though, .17 hornet is very flat shooting and at 300yds still has 200ftlbs of energy. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Alsone said:

It's feasible. Drop is 20 inches. In fairness though 400 is over the top. I just went for the extreme limit. ?

However, 300 is a very realistic 6 inches of drop and 350 therefore, probably quite possible. I very much doubt though many would want to shoot at those ranges. Point is though, .17 hornet is very flat shooting and at 300yds still has 200ftlbs of energy. 

Uhuh, uhuh, zzzzzz. And that has what to do with whether someone should get an hmr? 

1 hour ago, walshie said:

Uhuh, uhuh, zzzzzz. And that has what to do with whether someone should get an hmr? 

It's ok.

I remember when I was mad keen.

Keen to shoot at extended distances.

Pulled some good ones off but in all honesty most were missed shots.

The powder and bullet makers were well happy, it just got frustrating.

It's not gravity that is the issue, that's a constant so reliable. It's the atmosphere, like some forums, often tempestuous and unpredictable!

Fortunately there are some calmer places one can visit!

And 400 yd rabbits are at a worse peril than ever before from me! Now I have to get closer which is far worse than the kid with all the latest gizmos and a near laser flat shooting rifle!

U. ?

• Like 3

Nathan, just as a matter of interest i can tell you what happened at a big estate not too far from here.

This estate employs twelve keepers and at least two of them are on the ground controlling vermin  24/7 365 days a year. Everything is supplied for them, from the latest thermal equipment to bullets, this includes rifles.

They all had Hmr issued some years back amongst other calibres. After a period of time the estate office heard more and more incidents of squib rounds being fired and then another round fired behind it causing extensive damage. None of these incidents took place on the estate or indeed by any of their keepers i hasten to add. No, they where all incidents that  local gunshops had told them about as they had taken the rifles in to either sort or scrap.

These documented incidents where a great concern for the estate office who are well versed on health and safety legislation. So eventually to prevent a possible injury to one of their employee's they removed all the Hmr rifles from the keepers and replaced them with Wmr.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, walshie said:

Someone else suggested .17 originally not me. I just seconded it that it was a possible option for very long range low volume rabbiting, not something that most would do. For closer in, there are better and cheaper to run rabbit guns such as .22 for close range, and wmr / hmr for more moderate ranges.

21 hours ago, ianm said:

Nathan, just as a matter of interest i can tell you what happened at a big estate not too far from here.

This estate employs twelve keepers and at least two of them are on the ground controlling vermin  24/7 365 days a year. Everything is supplied for them, from the latest thermal equipment to bullets, this includes rifles.

They all had Hmr issued some years back amongst other calibres. After a period of time the estate office heard more and more incidents of squib rounds being fired and then another round fired behind it causing extensive damage. None of these incidents took place on the estate or indeed by any of their keepers i hasten to add. No, they where all incidents that  local gunshops had told them about as they had taken the rifles in to either sort or scrap.

These documented incidents where a great concern for the estate office who are well versed on health and safety legislation. So eventually to prevent a possible injury to one of their employee's they removed all the Hmr rifles from the keepers and replaced them with Wmr.   

I have still got good stocks of HMR ammo, not bought any for a while.   There is talk the latest offerings of the ammo have improved, has anyone got any hard evidence?

Cheers

2 hours ago, Deker said:

I have still got good stocks of HMR ammo, not bought any for a while.   There is talk the latest offerings of the ammo have improved, has anyone got any hard evidence?

Cheers

Yes!