Selection from my hide

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here’s a selection of some of the visitors to my hide over the past few weeks...

Buzzing today as I now have 2 red squirrels visiting my hide regular, not content with the 20+ hazelnuts and handful of peanuts I put out for them, they decided to attack the sunflower hearts in the b

Posted Images

• 5 weeks later...

Set up a new hide and station on some land with permission and support from the farming couple after all the carry on with the council and my old hide/set up...

Today was the 1st time I’ve managed to spend a couple hours there with camera and I wasn’t disappointed, new girl in town visiting multiple times every day, she’s been triggering the trail cam for the past week so thought I’d try and grab a few frames with the DSLR

197A00C3-D4F6-49EB-A4F1-77724BE285B9.jpeg

• Like 7
2 minutes ago, Bundy89 said:

What camera do you use pal?

Sorry, missed that part out...

I normally use a Canon 1DX mkii with either a Canon 500 f4 lens or a Canon 100-400 mkii lens, I have a Canon 7D mkii as a backup camera but rarely comes out the bag to be honest...

All the images in this thread were taken with the 1DX mkii and 500 f4 ?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bundy89 said:

Serious bits of kit then, I guessed images of that quality were not from a sub 1k setup.

To be fair it’s not all about the cost, more knowing a subject, some field craft, a lot of luck and the quality of the glass/lens more than the body.. A good understanding of how camera works, exposure and light etc can make or break an image.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Chaff said:

How many yards away was your hide when taking these shots zandy 

Anywhere between 5 and 10 meters away mate using a full frame body and 500mm lens, if I was using my 7D mkii which is a 1.6 crop sensor like your new camera I could’ve used a 300mm lens or less and easily filled the frame...

The closer you can have a subject the more quality you will have in return.

• Thanks 1

So would I be right in thinking using an f3 you would get more depth of field in that situation ?

I have yet to buy a body still saving for a lens the tax man has done a good job at emptying my bank this year. I have been looking at 28-300mm l I was thinking it might cover all situations in one lens.

Keep them coming Andy can't beat a well taken picture mate.

35 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

Anywhere between 5 and 10 meters away mate using a full frame body and 500mm lens, if I was using my 7D mkii which is a 1.6 crop sensor like your new camera I could’ve used a 300mm lens or less and easily filled the frame...

The closer you can have a subject the more quality you will have in return.

5 minutes ago, Chaff said:

So would I be right in thinking using an f3 you would get more depth of field in that situation ?

I have yet to buy a body still saving for a lens the tax man has done a good job at emptying my bank this year. I have been looking at 28-300mm l I was thinking it might cover all situations in one lens.

Keep them coming Andy can't beat a well taken picture mate.

My apologies, I was getting you mixed up with Stavross who has just bought a new camera.

F4 will give shallow depth of field - background all blurry and subject in focus so long as there’s distance between background and subject...

F11 would give more depth of field - more background in focus with foreground/subject

The lower the F number the more blurry

The higher the F number the more in focus the whole image will be if that makes sense ???

low f number tends to be used for portraits/wildlife 

higher f number is more for landscape/groups of people/street photography..

Having said the above, there are no set rules...

I could take an image of a stag in the highlands and want to keep all the backdrop/mountains in focus too I would use something like f13 or f16 giving a large depth of field for an environment image where both subject and background are all part of the scene or if I wanted to blow all the backdrop out and blurry I would use anything from f4 to f8...

Hope it makes a little sense ???

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, zandy01 said:

My apologies, I was getting you mixed up with Stavross who has just bought a new camera.

F4 will give shallow depth of field - background all blurry and subject in focus so long as there’s distance between background and subject...

F11 would give more depth of field - more background in focus with foreground/subject

The lower the F number the more blurry

The higher the F number the more in focus the whole image will be if that makes sense ???

low f number tends to be used for portraits/wildlife 

higher f number is more for landscape/groups of people/street photography..

Having said the above, there are no set rules...

I could take an image of a stag in the highlands and want to keep all the backdrop/mountains in focus too I would use something like f13 or f16 giving a large depth of field for an environment image where both subject and background are all part of the scene or if I wanted to blow all the backdrop out and blurry I would use anything from f4 to f8...

Hope it makes a little sense ???

That makes sense mate. I have a lot of questions going through my head, but think I will buy the kit and have a play.

Cheers mate

• Like 1