Terrier x whippets

11 hours ago, Dinosaurs said:

Always fancied a 3/4 whpt x border terrrier. Hope some good replies to this thread. A keeper i knew years ago kept patterdale x whippets he reckoned they were awesome vermin dogs. Atb

there a vid of pat x (none ped racing whippets )  and these black little dogs were brill ratters and , good on rabbits day/night, and enough guts to pile into foxes if need be , but for the latter  me self i out x again to nice mid size greyhound , then you have cracker for any quarry  they see. but just for rabbits, rats these little dogs are  1st class, if  i wanted little tough lurcher with good coat/skin/ feet   a pat x none ped whippet is what i go for .

• Like 4

You know how everyone has a cross or breed that they'd like to try but is a bit of a gamble so it just stays a dream? Well for me that'd be a Fell x Grey. Just a bit more pokey than the whippet cross.

One day maybe...

FYI, a similar thread from a while back. 

Edited by Born Hunter
  • Like 2

ive watched a fair few beddy/whippets but just 2 russell/whippets in the 80s belonging to the same lad. Bang on ratters great marking dogs work with nets. Hit cover like little missiles and caught in cover fur/feather .Worked crappy ground disused railway banks waste land back of industrial estates etc.. They did what the lad wanted no great expectations just little mooching/ferreting/vermin dogs.

• Like 9
16 hours ago, Greygamefowl said:

Anyone running terrier x whippets not bull or beddie , just curious as had a russel x whippet years ago 

Had a Manchester terrier x whippet years ago she was a good little mooching dog. 

Caught no end of rabbits, phesants, partridge, sqirrells, rats  a few hares and rolled the odd fox (she couldn't do em single but she wasn't a fox dog so no sleep lost). 

Her take off speed was like lightning but would fade after 100 or so yards. 

Would love another like her just for bushing and mooching about.

She died 4 years back from a stroke aged 14. 

had a whippet terrier back in the 70 s cracking little rabbit dog he would push a rabbit that hard it would after go to ground or get caught when he put one to ground he would come back to get me and show me where he,d marked if he marked he would not leave until the warren was empty being young at the time i did not know how luck i was i bred one accidental litter to my jack bitch i still regret not keeping one of them pups a friend brought a mate of his for one of the pups he wanted it to bolt rabbits to the gun a year or so later i asked hows that pup doing for your mate he said he had sold all his guns as he could not get a safe shot as the pup was always right on the rabbits arse

23 hours ago, vfr400boy said:

Did the terrier crosses yap a bit ? 

Mine is silent when working. Never yapped once, noisy little shit the rest of the time though. 

When we got him I was told he would be too slow for rabbits and too small for anything else. He proved that wrong time and time again

• Like 4
On 26/11/2018 at 10:58, Born Hunter said:

You know how everyone has a cross or breed that they'd like to try but is a bit of a gamble so it just stays a dream? Well for me that'd be a Fell x Grey. Just a bit more pokey than the whippet cross.

One day maybe...

FYI, a similar thread from a while back. 

A real rough type fell x whippet back to a greyhound would be an interesting cross.

• Like 1