Depression

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ray,its clear you have no real understanding of depression,you can take all the meds in the world and it will never sort out the mind of a manic depressive,and you got the patience of a saint ...id be

currently caring for my dear lady at the moment. breast cancer, I used to be one happy chappy, but now, yes im depressed. but I put on a brave face for the sake of her, I could go on and on, but I dun

if you could put depression into some sort of order  this is the way id describe it ,,firstly ,theres slight depression ,kind of like an umbrella over them,...when some one gets down in the dumps, ,,t

Posted Images

I use this craft to beat manic episodes , I tend not to get the lows , maybe the odd few days when I think everyone's out to get me or my families in danger , but for me making stuff seems to be the easiest way to fill time & stop me being negative, it might work for people with depression because you have an end product ... I also find using a walking tracker , so I set my phone up to count my steps while I am at work & I find myself wanting to do more steps the next day  

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

I think you are right Kay...:yes:

You need to have a project,..something that is all consuming,... I do have one on the go, but I lack the confidence to get it finished...

Maybe tomorrow, eh...?

I do tend to finish most things Phil, its usually running out of materials that stops me , I am quite obsessed once I get going but the downside to these episodes is the compulsion to start another project, the charity shop over the road is a god send for bits & pieces  

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, Phil Lloyd said:

:clapper: Fully agree,..foolishly trusting, users and low-life losers, has always been my downfall,...you have to keep well away from false friends,...they just waste ya...:yes:

the only way to find out if you can trust them is to trust them sadly.

would be a sad life not trusting people out of fear 

22 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

the only way to find out if you can trust them is to trust them sadly.

would be a sad life not trusting people out of fear 

Quite true that mate, but since I fell and ended up with the problems I've been left with, exactly 19 years ago tomorrow, I can count my true friends on less than three fingers lol

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Still got her Keith, I was lucky, but it was touch and go at the time...It fecked me up big time, I've never really been the same since... 

It's illogical I know, but previous to this, I had been a callous fecker, killing game, like there was no tomorrow, but now, I'm not the same man...

You are right about friends, kinda avoiding ya,... I think it's an inbuilt safety mechanism that most folks have, and as you say, they just don't know, what to say.:yes:

Facts are,..what can anyone say...

Well that's brought a smile to my face Phil, good luck to you both , and have a good christmas

Edited by iworkwhippets
correction
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Kay said:

I do tend to finish most things Phil, its usually running out of materials that stops me , I am quite obsessed once I get going but the downside to these episodes is the compulsion to start another project, the charity shop over the road is a god send for bits & pieces  

Kay is my cake finished lol

• Haha 1

I'm not one for sharing the intimacies of my family's lives, but I'll make an exception, for this subject.

One of my stepsons suffers from bipolar affective disorder ("manic depression")..............and 'suffer' is the right word !

He tends to be dominated by the depressive phase, but the lead up to it is usually a period of increasingly obsessive and manic behaviour. Then, he's bought crashing down by one of life's little knocks, that most of us would simply shrug off. His life is a constant tightrope walk, always teetering on the edge of calamity.

He became so bad during this summer, that he was sectioned, for the first time, for his own safety. He and I have never been bosom buddies - suffice to say that we've never really got on - but seeing the state of him, locked up in a secure unit broke my heart ! I took my wife to see him the following day - she was beside herself, as you can imagine, and he gave her his house key, to collect some clothes and toiletries etc. We decided that I'd go alone to collect the stuff, as it was getting late and I'm glad we did............there was a noose hanging on a door handle, and he'd left her a note on the coffee table, saying he was sorry, but that his death was the only way out he could see.

I has to sit down, I was so shaken. When I showed the note to my wife, she was hysterical, to think that her son could have been only a few hours from ending his life.

Unfortunately, this is  unlikely to be the only incident in his life - the support services needed are in very short supply, but in high demand. Proper help is only available when he reaches crisis point, as he did, and once he is discharged, the whole process has to start all over again via his GP - there's no way he can just call them up for help or support, there and then. Mental health services in this country are woefully inadequate and, were they do exist, they are fragmented and underfunded...........a situation that is costing lives !

No-one should ever underestimate that mental illness does literally destroy lives - of the sufferer and their loved ones !

• Sad 6
1 hour ago, Blackbriar said:

I'm not one for sharing the intimacies of my family's lives, but I'll make an exception, for this subject.

One of my stepsons suffers from bipolar affective disorder ("manic depression")..............and 'suffer' is the right word !

He tends to be dominated by the depressive phase, but the lead up to it is usually a period of increasingly obsessive and manic behaviour. Then, he's bought crashing down by one of life's little knocks, that most of us would simply shrug off. His life is a constant tightrope walk, always teetering on the edge of calamity.

He became so bad during this summer, that he was sectioned, for the first time, for his own safety. He and I have never been bosom buddies - suffice to say that we've never really got on - but seeing the state of him, locked up in a secure unit broke my heart ! I took my wife to see him the following day - she was beside herself, as you can imagine, and he gave her his house key, to collect some clothes and toiletries etc. We decided that I'd go alone to collect the stuff, as it was getting late and I'm glad we did............there was a noose hanging on a door handle, and he'd left her a note on the coffee table, saying he was sorry, but that his death was the only way out he could see.

I has to sit down, I was so shaken. When I showed the note to my wife, she was hysterical, to think that her son could have been only a few hours from ending his life.

Unfortunately, this is  unlikely to be the only incident in his life - the support services needed are in very short supply, but in high demand. Proper help is only available when he reaches crisis point, as he did, and once he is discharged, the whole process has to start all over again via his GP - there's no way he can just call them up for help or support, there and then. Mental health services in this country are woefully inadequate and, were they do exist, they are fragmented and underfunded...........a situation that is costing lives !

No-one should ever underestimate that mental illness does literally destroy lives - of the sufferer and their loved ones !

Having lost a son my heart goes out to you. The system does not work. I have no understanding of mental issues though.  God bless and hope it all turns out well. Atb.

Cheers Arry