Depression

3 minutes ago, stumfelter said:

I think most psychiatrists would agree with you, it's got to be better to keep it all bottled up and festering. ( Sarcasm for the hard of thinking).

"anything you say may be taken down and one day may be used against you"

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ray,its clear you have no real understanding of depression,you can take all the meds in the world and it will never sort out the mind of a manic depressive,and you got the patience of a saint ...id be

currently caring for my dear lady at the moment. breast cancer, I used to be one happy chappy, but now, yes im depressed. but I put on a brave face for the sake of her, I could go on and on, but I dun

if you could put depression into some sort of order  this is the way id describe it ,,firstly ,theres slight depression ,kind of like an umbrella over them,...when some one gets down in the dumps, ,,t

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, maxhardcore said:

Very sorry to hear those that have lost family members to cancer or who's family members are fighting cancer.

Its a c**t of a disease but Youv got to fight it and some folk do come thru the other end so never give up.

All of us will be effected by it to some degree at some point in our life's and if you do know of anyone fighting it ask them how they are and if they need anything at all they know where you are.

A chat ' a pint ' a walk ' fish and chips owt to bring normality into their Life and Fight ?

For healthy people maybe but those with sudden illness are down because they can no longer or might never have a pint, a walk or a fish an chips. I've seen strong minded, tough and independent people fall to pieces when they realised that now they were dependant on others. Before they would of said man up and get on with it. They used to push and demand only the best from people and have that much drive that they expected everyone to work on their terms. Indestructible until those that they thought were weak ended up spoon feeding them yougart and changing adult nappies. We are all vulnerable at the drop of a hat and things can change fast no matter how tough we think we are.

• Like 3
22 hours ago, bird said:

well i know one thing, from reading this post  , is my sister partner died  2 weeks ago from cancer , i got very down regards  it, liked the bloke alot , few others in my family were very low  as well.  he had only 5 weeks to live, but  he was very brave, told me my sister and others, to try and enjoy life and not be sad/ depressed  about him.  i am just about  got me mind right regards this, well if a dying man can fight depression , in his last 2 weeks of his  life , well us healthy people should fookin fight it , i rather have me yes fooked lower back,  or depressed  mind  , than bloody lung cancer  ,  like i said on this post  thank your lucky stars  your just depressed , there tons of people  hell of a lot worse  deff .

Ray, thats the thing with depression mate. All those ailments you named above have an identifiable cause and something to blame for their symptoms. With depression there's often nothing there as the cause. It can strike anyone and anywhere, look at poor old Robin Williams. He had everything most people aspire to, money, good family life, etc, yet the poor sod still felt the only way out of his suffering was to end his owm life. 

17 minutes ago, Malt said:

Ray, thats the thing with depression mate. All those ailments you named above have an identifiable cause and something to blame for their symptoms. With depression there's often nothing there as the cause. It can strike anyone and anywhere, look at poor old Robin Williams. He had everything most people aspire to, money, good family life, etc, yet the poor sod still felt the only way out of his suffering was to end his owm life. 

Not surprising the way they just dish out prescription drugs in USA. Michael Jackson, Heath ledger , Robin Williams and Brittany Murphy to name a few.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Malt said:

same with gary speed

• Like 2
5 hours ago, maxhardcore said:

Honestly ' I think modern living and the pressures and expectations that go with it have a lot to answer for.

I used to work for Mind and they have their way of doing things.

Maybe it was me but some of those sessions I seen wernt productive at all.

They were sort of highlighting the fact they were depressed.

2 of the lads who I was mentoring' one was def in his own way strange ' granted but was also partially playing the system by me taking him for tea/ coffee food all on expense and he was on every benefit going.

He was lazy and overweight.

In time I talked him into walks instead of just sitting in coffee shops in town.

His mood lifted but he still did what he had to do to get what he wanted.

The other lad was defiantly genuine and real low ' no confidence at all whatsoever.

After a month of walks instead of sensory room at the facility I had him doing 3 x 45 gym sessions per week with me.

He loved it after a month of having to drag him there.

Im no professional but it's a downward spiral if you let it get hold of you.

And Exercise in every form helps.

Walking

swimming

Cardio

weights

Running

Bikeing

Whatever' Exercise is def a good starting point.

I agree with that max but sometimes depression can be so bad basic tasks are difficult , have to push yourself to go out e

Plummer often said in his articles that his boubts of depression left him shiftless for days until he came around 

When I split up with my ex I had 4 months when I was hit with something that knocked  me for six. It wasn't because we split up because to be fair we had reached the end of the road. Think it was the moving back to my mums at thirty which just triggered something. 

I hardly eat or slept. Just felt at the bottom of a hole I couldn't get out of. Felt like my head was in a dark fog. It was bizarre. It would take me an hour of hard thinking to convince myself I had no real problems in life and I had every thing to live for, then I'd relax for 30seconds and I'd be back to the bottom of my hole. 

I can see now why telling people that 'there is always people worse off' 'or there's people with cancer'   wouldn't help....it would just make you feel worse. 

I never got close to doing anything silly, but if I could of gone to sleep and never woken up I would.

One morning I just felt better, woke up and felt like I could breathe again. Literally felt like I could see straight because someone switched a switch. The mind is a complicated and delicate thing and I can't imagine how people who are plagued with depression must cope. 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

Doesnt really make sense that. Loads of people who are depressed still get up and goto work and put on a brave face because they know it needs done to pay bills and stay alive. Sorry im a bit daft but i dont really get your point ? Surely depression is just as much in africa as it is anywhere else ?

My dad is 86 now for years he suffered with it he would come home from work his dinner would be on the table he just picked it up put it on the floor for the dogs feck off in the front room and wouldn't talk to anybody for weeks he still got up and went to work everyone's different

Up until a few years ago, I was firmly in the 'man the f**k up' camp - until 2 people close to me came down with it.

........... I found a mate in his car with a hosepipe from the exhaust to the window. There were no outward signs or warnings. He was up to his arsehole in debt - he's kind of ok now, still has some debt but, he's in a better place.

Mum became withdrawn because of her health issues - all of her kids make more effort to visit now and, she seems better for it - we were all there pretty regular but, now we make a proper pain in the arse of ourselves.

Mental health is a nightmare - it's different for everyone. Even most doctors don't fully understand it. The worst thing you can do is just pass it off as someone being a bit of a miserable twat.

.....................  Keep your ears and eyes open - you could save someone close.

• Like 7