Deer stalking price advice

1 hour ago, mrsdeer said:

We currently have 15000 acres of woodland and arable with a good selection of Roe, Sika, muntjac and fallow and are considering letting out the stalking rights to one person per year, what would be considered an acceptable price for this? 

Do you actually want the deer managed or is this just to get a return money wise . ? If it’s to actually manage the deer numbers one person would need be out virtually every day to make any impact if the numbers on 15,000 acres are high .

• Thanks 1

You could make good money out of accompanied stalks even does or hinds bring in some good cask but with bucks or stags you have the bonus of a good head raising more cash , i think if you let it to one person they would be taking guests out or a syndicate to cover costs and make a dent in the deer numbers  

19 hours ago, mrsdeer said:

We currently have 15000 acres of woodland and arable with a good selection of Roe, Sika, muntjac and fallow and are considering letting out the stalking rights to one person per year, what would be considered an acceptable price for this? 

£20 quid seem fair 

On 24/11/2018 at 21:23, mrsdeer said:

We lease the shooting rights for this estate and run a pheasant shoot on the land, the land agent has suggested we rent out the deer stalking to help pay the land rent so just looking for ideas

Surely it depends on the population numbers more than acreage? I mean if you have 500 acres of mature woodland and enough deer to sustainable harvest 100 a year then it's gonna fetch more than 99% arable that can only manage taking 20 a year.

I don't have the experience to really help you but if you know the above then it might help someone with more experience in leasing stalking offer some guidance. Alternatively you get someone in to do a census and advise you accordingly.

Personally I'm quite interested in sorting out a similar deal locally so be interested to hear opinions.

Edited by Born Hunter

Money aside if you want the deer managed properly I would put it in the hands of a couple of lads that know the score. Bought leases only ever end up one of two ways, nobody goes there or not often enough (Some people like the idea of a lease but havnt a clue what it involves) or the deer are abused to regain the fee charged. Seen it many times with landowners frustrated either  way .Quite a few leases around me end up with very poor bucks and far too many week does .I've been asked to shoot does on several leases despite not paying a penny  and being at odds with the lease holder. A pair of lads with the right attitude will suit far better IMO

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
On ‎24‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:25, mrsdeer said:

Sorry I put and extra 0 it's 1500 acres!!

You need to get someone to survey the area and take it from there, definitive answers will be thin on the ground until the facts are better known.

:thumbs:

On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 07:51, foxdropper said:

That’s combination sound too good to be true . Roe fallow sika and muntjac . 

It certainly sounds fair, I have land that has ALL of those and Reds as well, but if truth be known the Roe tops the list with lots of Muntjac and then Fallow, Sika, Reds in diminishing numbers, no CWD round my way!  There is a suggestion the site could be Hampshire way, so not that far from me, infinitely possible, but who knows until someone takes a proper look!

:thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

What does the game keeper who looks after the pheasants think about the letting of the stalking ? You are talking about someone who is out lamping a few times a week and access to all areas of the estate and who would want control of who goes where and when . If you sell the stalking under his feet , you may find that the arrangement will only last one season . All of a sudden the deer would have all but disappeared . ? My advice would be to include the stalking in the keepers remuneration package.

• Like 1