Tough toes

I have noticed my dogs outer toes take a lot of punishment when turning on big runs, i always hose his feet when i get back from all runs and use salt water when the nail beds take any damage, does anybody use anything to avoid the damage or use any treatments, i dont mind him taking a few days out now and then but it would be less work for his tongue on his toes.

Big speed and tight turns take its toll so any advice appreciated.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Charlie suggested,...keep the nails on a running dog nice and short I believe many cases of collateral Ligament damage to be spawned, by long nails, causing extra pressure on the toe when twis

Heres a few photos  I use a Dremmel copy got it off ebay £15 at the time down to the quick and as metioned short nails help to reduce toe injuries I also think its helped to keep a good shaped foot fr

In years gone by i liked dogs that where up on their toes, cat footed, because that was what the considered best by the "old fellas" . but as time goes on I've seen plenty of injuries with

Posted Images

Just checked out camrosa, cheers

Had mixed reviews, but it give me an idea to maybe use some pad hardener.

Cheers Cgreen, nails are a biggie, i think im gonna keep his nails as short as possible, ive also found that mud finds its way into his nail beds thats why i always hose his feet afterwards maybe.

I reckon my dog barely sees a path so some road walking is probably due, we use every other kind of terrain but I have big fields a stones throw away which he is always walked on and then hes driven to hunting grounds

• Like 1

I have not long been using a nail grinder (awesome bit of kit)so starting to get them right down.

I had a whippet that had black nails and caught her quik a couple of times, after that she used to try to do 30mph on her back when i got the clippers out.

• Like 1

For hardening pads road walking but also Denis Breary a greyhound vet from the midlands probably retired now told me surgical spirit, used twice a day for a few minutes,put surgical spirit in a mug and dip dogs foot for a few mins.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Str said:

For hardening pads road walking but also Denis Breary a greyhound vet from the midlands probably retired now told me surgical spirit, used twice a day for a few minutes,put surgical spirit in a mug and dip dogs foot for a few mins.

Have to water it down a bit 

9 hours ago, billhardy said:

Iodine dips keeps the nail beds clean stop infections etc Drexel small grinders for those that don't like the clippers or back thick quiet lanes get them nails down or even fa those fussy types a hand file gets em down quick atb bil

The reason dogs don’t like nail clippers  bill it’s because some people use poor quality clippers which crush the nail before it starts to cut which must be very painful ,if you buy some like mine in pics you will have no problems,mine are very sharp & slim ,my dogs don’t struggle when I clip there nails as it’s a painless experience,regards cutting the nails too short and making them bleed this is not a problem if you buy some quick stop of internet which is £5-10 this quick stop stops the bleeding instantly.

7577C23D-ED00-45FA-925A-DA519963D0F7.jpeg

035A49FD-1C5B-4935-8DD2-752B6E13463E.jpeg

• Like 3
42 minutes ago, Str said:

The reason dogs don’t like nail clippers  bill it’s because some people use poor quality clippers which crush the nail before it starts to cut which must be very painful ,if you buy some like mine in pics you will have no problems,mine are very sharp & slim ,my dogs don’t struggle when I clip there nails as it’s a painless experience,regards cutting the nails too short and making them bleed this is not a problem if you buy some quick stop of internet which is £5-10 this quick stop stops the bleeding instantly.

7577C23D-ED00-45FA-925A-DA519963D0F7.jpeg

035A49FD-1C5B-4935-8DD2-752B6E13463E.jpeg

regards the nails, and cutting to short , you got to only go to the quick anyway , and they wont bleed then. it when they been cut to short and bleed , then its painful, even if you use a grinder once you hit the quick  it will hurt. i only take bit off at a time, when the dog grows from pup to older as the foot get longer and bigger so will the quick , you carnt avoid it , so take bit off when you cut them. another prob is dogs with black nails, most people wont know where the quick, so they cut to short and bleed and hurt the dog, same again just take bit off when you cut them , my big dog Buck got all black nails , only cut him once in 6 years thats not bad, i cut my dogs just before the quick , got long nails suppose  you got to go to length of the toe stop at the quick, Bryn 11 year old no foot probs , and Buck 6 year old no foot probs. i learned about cutting nails working at greyhound racing kennel, watch the trainer cut his dog feet, he did same me little off  but often  .   ps got   same clippers .!

• Like 2

Heres a few photos  I use a Dremmel copy got it off ebay £15 at the time down to the quick and as metioned short nails help to reduce toe injuries I also think its helped to keep a good shaped foot from being a pup,as regards toughening the pads theres this https://www.greyhoundsuperstore.co.uk/shop/healthcare/tuf-foot-240ml/ or a lot cheaper version https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Pad-Hardener-100g/Productinfo/PADH/ .As regards the Dremmel copy its vary speed mine is on 3 my dog is a first cross deerhound/greyhound the odd time only a speck of pin sized blood has surfaced but with sanding attatchment and speed the nail is quaterized so to speak,also getting your dog used to the noise of the drill and the feel of the sanding motion on its nail/toe.

SDC10195.JPG

SDC10826.JPG

SDC10829.JPG

SDC10830.JPG

SDC10940.JPG

SDC11406.JPG

• Like 4