Why makes a lurcher pick their runs by the hedge?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apart from super game bull crosses.They bust holes through hedges pulling out trees with their bare teeth whilst in hot pursuit.

I’ve found over the years that some heavily worked dogs of all can develope that habit.

It’s not just Collie blood, I think most Lurchers if worked enough on rabbits figure out what’s worth running and what’s not. 

I dont think they will all do it. Some dogs just aint got jack in them. They rare n normally a pain to breed from but they out there.is it a good dog man that tests his dogs because any weakness they may or may not have he wants to see it or is a good dogman someone that can carry there dog ? I know who id rather have a pup off myself.

3 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

They all will do it,  bit it’s simple enough to be able to give a half decent dog a load a graft without mugging him off mate an making him jack, that’s whwre decent dog men rise above the rest imo??

another good post, I could always get enjoyment out of even a very average dog by working it to its strengths and avoiding it weaknesses.

4 minutes ago, C.green said:

I dont think they will all do it. Some dogs just aint got jack in them. They rare n normally a pain to breed from but they out there.is it a good dog man that tests his dogs because any weakness they may or may not have he wants to see it or is a good dogman someone that can carry there dog ? I know who id rather have a pup off myself.

you have hit the nail on the head there, don't breed from suspect dogs, how many times on here do we see lads saying what can I put to my bitch to make so and so right in the pups, answer nothing, don't breed.

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, C.green said:

It is jacking in my book. But most dogs wont get enough stick to see whether they will do it or not.

I don’t think it’s jacking if they haven’t even started to run? 

If they are behind something can’t get to terms with the prey and quit that to me is jacking. 

Lurchers running lures will soon Cotten on and cut corners out they aren’t stupid. 

Also I think some people condition their Lurchers to pull up at hedges by switching the lamp off as soon as the rabbit hits the hedge instead of leaving it on a bit longer. That is something I have done in the past.  

My last dog used to do it but from starting him off on the farm where I lived and worked the hedges were ten foot thick blackthorn hedges that had the sets directly inside them and I think that dog got sick of looking down black holes so he stopped going in. My new bitch does it also she pulls up well clear only acquired this bitch recently but she suprised me last week by running in and taking the bunny as it entered the set. Tonight she run 4 and pulled up at the hedge on every one keeps the vet bills down but it pisses me off. Lack of commitment I think 

My old bitch may pick her runs one day and go suicidal another day,smashing through cover and into wire.I put it down to the mood she's in.Strangely when on paid pest control jobs she works like a trooper and seems to try to impress the farmer.I think she feeds off my attitude to different situations,probably a lot of dogs feed off their owners thoughts.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

My old bitch may pick her runs one day and go suicidal another day,smashing through cover and into wire.I put it down to the mood she's in.Strangely when on paid pest control jobs she works like a trooper and seems to try to impress the farmer.I think she feeds off my attitude to different situations,probably a lot of dogs feed off their owners thoughts.

I hope not

• Like 1