Why makes a lurcher pick their runs by the hedge?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Apart from super game bull crosses.They bust holes through hedges pulling out trees with their bare teeth whilst in hot pursuit.

I’ve found over the years that some heavily worked dogs of all can develope that habit.

It’s not just Collie blood, I think most Lurchers if worked enough on rabbits figure out what’s worth running and what’s not. 

9 hours ago, springfield said:

What makes a lurcher pick it runs by the hedge is it because of collie blood or too many runs on silly rabbit just a topic that I would like to hear peoples opinions on. To me it’s the dog thinking by the time it gets from A-B the rabbit will be in C

I've had a couple of dogs do it in the past but I don't haven't had that happen for years if a dog wants it they'll hit that hedge weither it's on the hole or by the hedge row they do there darn best 

• Like 1
12 hours ago, springfield said:

What makes a lurcher pick it runs by the hedge is it because of collie blood or too many runs on silly rabbit just a topic that I would like to hear peoples opinions on. To me it’s the dog thinking by the time it gets from A-B the rabbit will be in C

It’s not just Collie blood, I think most Lurchers if worked enough on rabbits figure out what’s worth running and what’s not. 

• Like 7

Personally, I think it's got f**k all to do with collie blood in a dog. Seen dogs of all sorts WITHOUT collie in em doing it over the years, even some pure sightounds. Pretty much the same when people keep saying about dogs opening up when in pursuit, 'oh it must be have whippet in it'. I've owned and worked a few whippets and NONE of them opened up. Worst dog I seen for opening up was a 1st x collie/grey x 1st x bull/grey. Point I'm making is, if a running dog of any type is started to work before it's ready ie, too young, unfit, still mentally immature, or slipped on unsuitable rabbits etc, chances are it's going to open up, start pulling up at hedges or whatever.

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

I’ve found over the years that some heavily worked dogs of all can develope that habit.

Apart from super game bull crosses.They bust holes through hedges pulling out trees with their bare teeth whilst in hot pursuit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I know a lurcher  that will pull up at hedges or brambles and even bare ditches and watch a rabbit run off,the dog just don't have it's heart on rabbits but  is a very different animal  and will bust through anything without care on Rats,the bitch just  don't do fluffy bunny but just likes it a bit rougher?.

• Like 2

I think history and shark above hit the nail on the head that said how many times have you seen a dog nail a bunny that's followed through on one that's  just hopped/run  in plenty of gear has been missed by pulling up short and it's not just collie xs that do it either 

27 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I thought a lurcher was about feeding you?? An iv saw a few brainy ones fail to put the only rabbit seen that night in the bag for lack of trying, or brains as you call it, but a dog that tried has caught it an done the lurchers job am fed the family or itself??

Give Hancock a ring Kat h Sally will sort yas out good style she'll likely sell thee one a those fecking mongrell bred collie curs they will be fine da what you want but they big dollars atb bill

• Confused 1