Mexican Seafood

Limpets you would be better off prying off the rocks with a knife just after the tide goes out. Shooting them... There will be bugger all left and you will. Just blunt the crap out of any speargun you used.  Generally, molluscs like scallops, oysters etc aren't shot, they are hand dived on breath hold. You can spear lobsters and crabs but don't know what local byelaws are like and I'd be careful as the Mexicans And South Americans have some Strict laws around this sort of thing. Plenty of fish can be speared but usually it has to be done on breath hold and there are a load of different spear types, pole, elastic, pneumatic etc. Depends what you can shoot, want to shoot and also your ability. But limpets.. A knife to pry them of rocks. 

14 hours ago, LuckOrJudgement said:

Can anyone recommend some kit that will enable me to shoot limpets in Cancun. Going there soon with the nanny. Better to hire locally than fly out with?

haaaaaaaaaaaaa  shooting limpets    yeah best use .762   to make sure they are dead:blink:

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, Jonjon79 said:

Limpets?   f**k knows :unknw:

Maybe Mark - I Think he's done some spear fishing in the past.

Apart from that, hold your breath and, good luck.

You`ve a good memory Jon.

For Limpets, approach without touching them or making vibration of any kind on the rocks they are attached to.

A good sized, smooth pebble about the size of a bread cob and strike with a sideways on blow, - not too hard and off they come.

If the other limpets feel threatened by the noise and vibration and clamp down hard, just move on to other rocks and start again.

Not sure about other fishing lads but Limpets are crap to eat.  :bad: :no:

atb  Mark.

• Like 1

I used to collect slipper limpets from around Brighton and a local showed me what they did using a putty knife and with a swift push, they were off. They removed quite a few before the buggers clamped down hard. They were good bait for whiting as they were tough and stood up to a powerful cast.

Phil