Advice please blokes

How are you supposed to start a young/inexperienced dog off if all the puppy places, small berry’s you know to are dead and any new ground u go on is obviously unknown 

is dropping him anywhere really that wreck less or does that depend on the dog?will good dogs take it and  not so good dogs fail  what’s the secret ????????

3 hours ago, Jaystan said:

How are you supposed to start a young/inexperienced dog off if all the puppy places, small berry’s you know to are dead and any new ground u go on is obviously unknown 

is dropping him anywhere really that wreck less or does that depend on the dog?will good dogs take it and  not so good dogs fail  what’s the secret ????????

Drop him in a shallow spot you’ve dug before. If you haven’t got any spots like that you’ll have to find them, you can have a good guess as to what’s handy or not.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jaystan said:

Have patients Grasshopper,it's been very mild and iv'e had loads of blank days out checking places this year myself,a few have been pulled out but nothing at home is getting to be the norm every week and i'm the only person who does the earthwork on the few shoots i have so they ain't been had before me as such.Once the east wind blows some cold in there'll start turning up but who wants to lie in a dark damp hole when there's warm lie up's else where on top?..Mind you any hole is a goal as they say ?and i never used to worry where i put myself when a youngster so maybe the same can be said for a young terrier ? ?....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
20 hours ago, Jaystan said:

The secret is thats a funny question for a lad with two posts.

• Like 4

I used to give my young 1s a few easy run throughs on the stone drains we have a few spots round here with them then I know 1 that has a off shoot that  was a good 1 on a freezing morning that I'd drop it in let it have a easy win 18inch down and lift a flag then I'd drop him in a few shallow spots 2-3ft steady and a few easy wins and in its 1st season all I'd do shallows and drains then 2nd season be away I found.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

As mixed girl said  I'm  here to enlighten the masses so here's my advice mate .Get yourself along with a hunt ,its the ONLY way to get your dogs regular work on fox .May not be  instant and you will need  to earn some degree of respect  but the rewards far outlay mooching about for days on end at empty earths .As the season goes on the terrier man sometimes needs the use of other lads dogs more and more I've found .Good luck with your dog and the future mate and ffs don't take any advice from mixed girl .

• Like 1
1 hour ago, foxdropper said:

As mixed girl said  I'm  here to enlighten the masses so here's my advice mate .Get yourself along with a hunt ,its the ONLY way to get your dogs regular work on fox .May not be  instant and you will need  to earn some degree of respect  but the rewards far outlay mooching about for days on end at empty earths .As the season goes on the terrier man sometimes needs the use of other lads dogs more and more I've found .Good luck with your dog and the future mate and ffs don't take any advice from mixed girl 

It's Christmas FD season of good will I was being genuine...but sure 

• Haha 1