Hull Comp X 21g

Evening all, 

As you know I got my cert last week, promptly brought an o/u and since then I've practically lived at the clay ground. Ive come up against a bit of a weird one, I've been shooting Hill Comp X 21g cartridges, started with fibre and then tried plastic (getting a feel, ya know) and I've had a number of misfires. By a number I mean a crap load, like, out of 400 carts through the gun I've probably had 100 that have had to be shot a second time in order to actually fire, one of these took 3 times through the gun before I decided to call it quits... However I got a bit over zealous opening the gun and the ejectors sent it deep into a hedge row never to be seen again. I thought to start with it might be my shooting technique as I'm still new and learning. It was relatively consistent in that it was the top barrel misfiring but these weren't typical light strikes, they came out looking like a normal strike after the first shot and the second shot always fired em but with that said I've had it happening with both barrels and with no consistency as to when it happens. I'll put 20 rounds through fine then the gun warms up and I'll start getting random cartridge misfires. I took it into the gunsmith at the shop I brought it from and had a chat and he showed me a cartridge some bloke had taken in that morning with the same problem. Same cartridge as me, not a light strike but no fire. He reckons it could be a duff batch of primers, we took the gun out back and he put about 40 cartridges through it in about a minute, mixed brands etc and not a single issue. He said to try the rest out and save any that don't fire on the first strike and take them back in as it could be a batch fault. Is this normal? Is it the gun or is it more likely to be the cartridge? Having seen the same cartridge fired from a different gun in the same say have the same issue I want to hope it is? Just makes me a bit edgy when I pull the trigger and get nothing but a click.... 

Regards

Smithy 

3 minutes ago, Stavross said:

Sounds like a cartridge fault to me,  if you put a load of another brand through and if you don’t have a problem you will know what it is, I had a bad batch of victory 36g once only had 100 but about 20 didn’t fire

Confirms what I've already been told then. Got about 100 gamebore blue diamond I can stick through it to see. Fingers crossed 

Compare the primer indents on the ones that dont go off. If the strikes are the same its the cartridge. Make a note of the batch number. Technique has nothing to do with anything like this. And dont just eject cases all over the place. It's just mucky.  Never leave a case behind to give away your presence. It's just the mark of an armature. Comp x is a nice cartridge. Contact Hull. The shop might just give you a handfull of cartridges as replacement. 

2 hours ago, Meece said:

Compare the primer indents on the ones that dont go off. If the strikes are the same its the cartridge. Make a note of the batch number. Technique has nothing to do with anything like this. And dont just eject cases all over the place. It's just mucky.  Never leave a case behind to give away your presence. It's just the mark of an armature. Comp x is a nice cartridge. Contact Hull. The shop might just give you a handfull of cartridges as replacement. 

All noted. I don't leave cartridge cases everywhere when I'm out this one was a bit of a cock up on my behalf and it was gone before I could do much. I hate the messy gits that leave cartridge cases all over the clay grounds when they provide bins! 

I know Hull Cartridge changed their primers a little while ago which I found out when I phoned them up regarding a few miss fires with some Superfast cartridges. I don't like them but my beloved Eley Superb were out of stock at that time.

I can tell you that the best 21gr cartridges I have tested are the Cheddite Universal 21. My wife was trying a number of 21gr shells to use in a gun she using at that time and these were fantastic. I tried them on the olympic trap layout at Beverley gun club and they smoked those long range targets. My pal then decided to try them and again superb results on sporting clays.

If you can find someone who sells them in your area, try them. 

Phil

• Like 1
On 24/11/2018 at 09:23, philpot said:

I know Hull Cartridge changed their primers a little while ago which I found out when I phoned them up regarding a few miss fires with some Superfast cartridges. I don't like them but my beloved Eley Superb were out of stock at that time.

I can tell you that the best 21gr cartridges I have tested are the Cheddite Universal 21. My wife was trying a number of 21gr shells to use in a gun she using at that time and these were fantastic. I tried them on the olympic trap layout at Beverley gun club and they smoked those long range targets. My pal then decided to try them and again superb results on sporting clays.

If you can find someone who sells them in your area, try them. 

Phil

Cheers Phil, I'll give em a look