Coursing Bred

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any pups you breed will sell for loads especially if you just put a load of random names like Fred x Suzy out of Hopkins slider bred out the original ball buster dog  No one will question you for

it is definitely the way forward if you wont something you for a bit of every thing and can stay running all night and day coursing blood is the way to go my dog i run now out of my old dog will take

Collie bull greyhound

Posted Images

3 hours ago, DavoH66 said:

yer the dog is still going pal he has picked up the odd nock but nothing Madge pal just a trip to the bone man and week or 2 off hear and there 

Sounds a gudden especially if you've had him from a pup n he's still with you at 5 ?

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

Fancy another halfx if I’m honest either collie or kelpie? but being honest Iv made mutts that I was happy with out a few diff types now so if a real nice litter with the type a pup I like turns up before that then who knows, as long as it ain’t a coursing dog?????

Don't know much about coursing bred stock, but from what I've seen over the years in your part of the UK... I feel that a good strong, fast type of lurcher,  one that is savvy enough to use its God-given physicality and speed, whilst still managing to use its gears and keep itself safe, does really, really well..:yes:

_K1A3826.JPG.aac7c77dbacca3213ccb7cd7a7d3c507.JPG

• Like 5

Ive a coursing type x lurcher and id say hes a pretty quick killer run alot of small type land with him. Ive seen him have a just over 4 minute run i know how long it was as i started filming he was carrying an injury to his wrist and lacked a yard on the hare but done enough to keep on it  this was on a couple grass paddocks and killed it eventually by wearing it down. Having a couple minutes in the tank and hanging in there is alot different to over running stuff in my opinion.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, DavoH66 said:

mind runing this type gets you in to a spot of bother like lol had this lovley letter today saying silly things i have no ider of what there on about of courses ?

20181122_201628.png

You better put them right and tell them if it was you the dog wouldn't have just chased it

Go down well wi um I reckon

• Like 1
6 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Genuine question but why should they have to rear it gently, bring it on slower, given longer to mature? When they can just get a lurcher that suits them, don’t need reating gently, or fetched on slower or treated with kid gloves, likes been said mate they ain’t for everybody an from where I’m sat,you saluki lovers saying the crabbers are wrong then you are surely crabbing all other types,have you tried all other types Cos I have tried a coursing dog an couple a half x coursing dogs an they just ain’t for me, I ain’t as ignorant to suggest they shit or there is no good uns, jist very few that would keep me personally happy 

I keep dogs to enjoy, relax, an spend some quality time outdoors an if a coursing dog hinders that in any way then it ain’t for me, they are dogs mate an like fcuk Am I gonna change or mould meself around a puppy when there are countless other types out there that will mould to me, an let’s be honest how many folk actually need a mutt that can run for 4 mins ???

Totally get where your coming from . But understanding and rearing dogs with that blood is key . ( bonding ) . I love non ped whippet blood in my dogs . Have had collie xs and beddy xs . My point is , there are few dogs capable of manipulating it's quarry as a ( good ) dog with Sal blood . Imho.  And to get a gooden , you need to be patient.  And I also believe  , even tho they take longer to come on . The have more durability.  Yours Benny ?

4 hours ago, Gilbey said:

Beanie was a 1st x saluki greyhound, nothing to do with fettle ?

But beanies blood was absorbed I. To modern coursing dogs  the coursing dogs of giddy have many different lines but on the whole they all mostly gotten from same types lurchers and sal breds atb bill

allsorts of lurchers went into the melting pot to create what we refer to as coursing dogs, I acquired this bitch from Leicestershire 30 ish years ago because she was supposed to carry blood from my old 70s dogs she looked very lurchery as did allot of those early Leicester dogs and surprisingly these broken coated lurcher looking ones are still common, sadly she did not make the grade, but a lamping mate liked her and she made him a decent dog for many years and mothered some decent lurchers in retirement.

115.JPG

• Like 5

Too right:yes:

Killed plenty of hares, back in the day, with all sorts of miscellaneous hybrids...

Obviously, when the fabulous Saluki started to influence breeding projects, things changed drastically,..but for the average Joe,...the hunting life went on,.. as usual...

File0180.jpg.1b782ab03c16e8f3ea0614b5c7229ee4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Phil Lloyd said:

Don't know much about coursing bred stock, but from what I've seen over the years in your part of the UK... I feel that a good strong, fast type of lurcher,  one that is savvy enough to use its God-given physicality and speed, whilst still managing to use its gears and keep itself safe, does really, really well..:yes:

_K1A3826.JPG.aac7c77dbacca3213ccb7cd7a7d3c507.JPG

Shame about her grassils muscle been a great bitch to my mate has Dorris.....I badgered him like feck to take her on her first ferreting days at 5 and a half months old...there was deep snow on the tops...and I knew she would catch a few easy ones and start her carrier on a high....funny enough it snowed on us yesterday just a few fields away from that very first day....she has earnerd her place by the fire side that's for sure

• Like 2