Another decent dog fox!

Been doing a fair bit of foxing lately and last night was no different. I decided to go to the keepered shoot as i hadn't been for a week   and there are always foxes there as it is such a large area surrounded by land that either isn't shot over or isn't keepered. 

Anyway the first place i went to and started calling at produced a dog fox in about five minutes of getting there. Nothing special,  just a one hundred and fifty yard shot saw him go down. I am glad i had the dog with me as it slid down a ditch bank and wasn't visible in the undergrowth. I would of spent quite a bit of time looking for it without the dog.004.JPG.a8812ed390bb3fc86459d6f167528cdc.JPG

I called for another twenty minutes or so to see if there was any more but drew a blank.

The next spot is a favourite of mine as it nearly always produces. I think this is because it is at the end of a funnel, a river down one side and a motorway down the other side. When i arrived i could see a fox in the thermal about four hundred yards away milling about under a hedge, so i set up quickly and put the caller out to my left about fifty yards away. I switched the scope on and laser illuminator in readiness and started the caller off. Well he set off running in like a whippet out of trap one. When he was about one hundred and twenty yards from the caller i muted it and he carried on running till he was eighty yards or so away. As soon as he stopped i had the reticule on his engine room and squeezed the trigger. I saw the bullet strike and down he went. He was a fair old fox and a good one to get out of the way.

005.JPG

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Baldcoot said:

Nice work  on them 2 , is it a pencil beam laser ? or one of them wide like a torch jobs .Have a nm800 on the photon and did wonder if a laser would be any different/better for foxing .

The beam is adjustable, it will flood or focus down to a spot. You wouldn't be able to use this on spot with a photon, there would be far too much light for the camera to cope with and it would "white out". However you could back it off untill it gives you the picture you want but if the n/m 800 is doing a good job i wouldn't bother.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, David.evans said:

That's a good evening out mate 2 in the bag great shooting 

what did you have on the caller? 

Atb 

Vixen on heat, it has brought five dogs and a vixen in during the past eight days.

• Like 1