Plastic sea pollution a real problem

2 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Born as a scientist, what do you recon to my slightly simple solution with regard to the plastic problem,A we gather up our old plastic and just melt it into solid blocks, B we stop cutting down trees because as a building product wood has a limited life span,plus it's the lungs of the world, we then simply cut the plastic blocks into lengths, of 2"X 2" or 4" X 4" or whatever size we want to use instead of wood, I have done this on a small scale in the oven and it worked well giving a block of very hard workable plastic 

What do yo use the blocks for?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Everyone is so negative on here, perhaps  whales likes to eat plastic and have  to go miles out of their way to get any so by putting more plastic in the sea we would be helping whales to have more "m

Born as a scientist, what do you recon to my slightly simple solution with regard to the plastic problem,A we gather up our old plastic and just melt it into solid blocks, B we stop cutting down trees

I'll ask Alexa what she thinks lol

Just now, jiggy said:

It seems to cause a shock when it shows up in whales because of sheer size and gets attention but what about the small fish we eat on a daily basis that are sucking up the micro fibres and poisoning themselves and us when we eat them. There has to be an alternative packaging. It would make a very wealthy man that comes up with a solution that forces governments to rethink.

Governments don't even really need to get involved. If tomorrow every consumer in the West avoided plastic packaging and environmentally damaging products then industry itself would RAPIDLY adapt. The question is how much more would it cost to get the environmentally friendly option over the plastic one and do consumers care enough to even look for it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Born as a scientist, what do you recon to my slightly simple solution with regard to the plastic problem,A we gather up our old plastic and just melt it into solid blocks, B we stop cutting down trees because as a building product wood has a limited life span,plus it's the lungs of the world, we then simply cut the plastic blocks into lengths, of 2"X 2" or 4" X 4" or whatever size we want to use instead of wood, I have done this on a small scale in the oven and it worked well giving a block of very hard workable plastic 

:clapper::good:

I can't comment on it as a scientist, it's not my area. But it just makes sense don't it? I follow a few container recycle house building things on social media. I think the only thing stopping us doing more of this is frankly pride and social status! People don't want to live in a recycled house, they want the prestige of bricks and mortar.

There's probably technical problems of using the right plastics for building or whatever but on the face of it it has legs...

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, scothunter said:

Brown paper bags at supermarkets like before.

I'd happily pay extra for that. 

It's not like the public aren't aware of the plastic problem

You should,nt have to pay more mate they take enough out of every working mans pay as it is, so get on with it and sort the problem it's there fecking jobs, ✌?

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, jiggy said:

What do yo use the blocks for?

So you can simply cut them into any shape you need from 8x4 sheets to lengths of timber for skirtings, or structural, it has very simular property,s to wood, just lasts longer and saves mass destruction of the forests we have left ✌️this was were my interest started, but it opens up your eyes to the many other possibility,s 

Edited by Greyman
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Governments don't even really need to get involved. If tomorrow every consumer in the West avoided plastic packaging and environmentally damaging products then industry itself would RAPIDLY adapt. The question is how much more would it cost to get the environmentally friendly option over the plastic one and do consumers care enough to even look for it?

I think governments are important. I remember the days when if you wanted to see which way the wind was blowing you just watched the bags blowing around like parachutes. The levy changed all that and they were no longer a disposable item and people reused them weekly because of cost.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, jiggy said:

I think governments are important. I remember the days when if you wanted to see which way the wind was blowing you just watched the bags blowing around like parachutes. The levy changed all that and they were no longer a disposable item and people reused them weekly because of cost.

I agree. I guess I just meant that blaming the government and saying it's their job to fix is a bit of a get out and a crutch that some people use as an excuse to not do anything themselves. We totally have the power to enact social change. Let's petition government too but let's not just wait for them to fix it for us. We can all choose to buy locally sourced products, buy meat wrapped in paper rather than plastic from the supermarket etc. It's less convenient but we can do that without the government. We can make it socially unacceptable to not recycle or not consider our impact on the world.

I just think the solution is multifaceted. But you're right government can and has made a difference.

17 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I agree. I guess I just meant that blaming the government and saying it's their job to fix is a bit of a get out and a crutch that some people use as an excuse to not do anything themselves. We totally have the power to enact social change. Let's petition government too but let's not just wait for them to fix it for us. We can all choose to buy locally sourced products, buy meat wrapped in paper rather than plastic from the supermarket etc. It's less convenient but we can do that without the government. We can make it socially unacceptable to not recycle or not consider our impact on the world.

I just think the solution is multifaceted. But you're right government can and has made a difference.

It's alright for me and you to buy paper parcel meat because we realise what it means but when the junkie alcho on the street goes into the off licence he doesn't give a shit what it's wrapped in as long as he gets the product. If he was charged a pound for that plastic bag ,he sure as shit wouldn't pay it because that's an extra can of beer. He would gladly take paper for the extra tipple. The problem with plastic is it's too cheap. I bet them poor people in India would change mindset too if a bag was more expensive than a loaf of bread. Only government can enforce that and it would create money for more useful sources like the health sector. The way I look at is if you pay a pound for a bag then your entitled to do as you wish with it but I guarantee 95% will find an alternative wrapper which would massively reduce although not completely fix the problem.

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

I can't comment on it as a scientist, it's not my area. But it just makes sense don't it? I follow a few container recycle house building things on social media. I think the only thing stopping us doing more of this is frankly pride and social status! People don't want to live in a recycled house, they want the prestige of bricks and mortar.

There's probably technical problems of using the right plastics for building or whatever but on the face of it it has legs...

problem with recycleing plastic is theres very little money in it , plus building products can only have very little recycled plastic in them if they are to get the british kite mark , as for plastic blocks theyd need to be fire retardant or we'd end up with afew more grenfells lol

our govnt may make a few noises about the problem , ,they may increase the levy,s abit more ,but the top bods will still be happy to take there divi as directors    of  plastic manufacturing co,. anyway they are far to busy     f,,king us over brexit to worry about  plastic  

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, steve66 said:

problem with recycleing plastic is theres very little money in it , plus building products can only have very little recycled plastic in them if they are to get the british kite mark , as for plastic blocks theyd need to be fire retardant or we'd end up with afew more grenfells lol

The plastic blocks would be cut into a timber substitute and not laid as blocks and as timber is also very flammable I still don't see any problems,  the money would grow much like scrap metal as it becomes a commodity  and more people require the raw material, it,s all do able if we put the planet above profit ???

• Like 1