Breeding the next Generation and improving

Hello boys/girls, haven't been on here for a good long while, however recently I've been toying with lining my lurcher bitch, she'll be 6 this coming summer and is a 1st x Collie/saluki over a Collie/Grew,. She is a great allrounder and one hell of a bitch but me being the critic I am have picked a few faults and preferences, I would like to try and remove/add in the next generation as I'm planning on keeping a pup back for myself. I know myself she isn't fast and her feet aren't the best, so I was leaning to a sprint bred greyhound dog to inject some pace and tighten there feet up. My main stay are rabbits with the odd long ear and Charlie. I would like a few opinions and if anyone knows of any good stud dogs about, I'm open to ideas ?? 

IMG_3192.PNG

IMG_3193.PNG

Edited by wila

deff a coursing bred dog, you put bit better feet,pace, stamina, bit of height , be spot on for you .  collies,gsd ,  have very good feet and stamina, most herding dogs do  put back to running dog  another good x , both my 1xs  have fair pace , but  a good coursing dog   fit the bill for you .

5 hours ago, wila said:

Hello boys/girls, haven't been on here for a good long while, however recently I've been toying with lining my lurcher bitch, she'll be 6 this coming summer and is a 1st x Collie/saluki over a Collie/Grew,. She is a great allrounder and one hell of a bitch but me being the critic I am have picked a few faults and preferences, I would like to try and remove/add in the next generation as I'm planning on keeping a pup back for myself. I know myself she isn't fast and her feet aren't the best, so I was leaning to a sprint bred greyhound dog to inject some pace and tighten there feet up. My main stay are rabbits with the odd long ear and Charlie. I would like a few opinions and if anyone knows of any good stud dogs about, I'm open to ideas ?? 

IMG_3192.PNG

IMG_3193.PNG

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, start again with something that fits your bill and requirements, there's no shame in that, plus a litter of lurcher pups can be a nightmare from four weeks old, save urself the stress and buy in, as long as you do your homework you can get a good pup from a reputable lurcherman/woman, Atb pal

Edited by Countryman62
  • Like 1

Get in touch with that Fuji off here he may have a pup still from best dogs in the county, offer him 2 grand I'm sure you will be in with a chance , such a modest man  ? keep him in Crack for a while as he's on something deff ?

Edited by Big Ron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, joe ox said:

If your only keeping one pup why not source a pup from parents that suite your needs instead of chancing a litter of scatter breeds to add to the merry go round.

good point joe, looking at the bigger pic, it lot easier  to buy in than breed  for the reasons above  , thinking about it bit more mate .

43 minutes ago, wila said:

Yes lads I could start again from scratch but I would like to keep the line that's the reason I want to breed her, I want to improve the line. 

You've probably not done yourself any favours admitting she's not that fast and has bad feet but I respect you for your honesty, I'd just be really careful choosing your stud dog, kelpie crosses usually have good feet and are soundly strong well put together canines, I wish you all the best with your venture, Atb pal

yeh that bull x looks a tidy animal too

Edited by Countryman62
  • Like 1