I converted.

18 hours ago, Underdog said:

Not bad at all in my opinion.

Through a mod of course.

If they're quiet, I would say they are very slow and barely breaking the sound barrier. When myself and a friend put HV's through his modded Sako .22, they echo'ed around the valley off hills 2-3 miles away (at night). They certainly weren't quiet. Were at least 3-4 reverb echoes per shot. We were in a valley surround by hills, albeit it was quite open with large distances between them. Can't remember the brand but may have been CCI Stingers. They were almost like a quieter CF.

That said, there's nothing wrong with .22 HV's if you adjust your scope to match. My issue would always be that for the sound level, there are better choices of calibre out there that are only slightly louder but have far better long range performance eg HMR. I might even suggest Hornet if you're not a HMR fan.

.22 Subs are another matter, and in a league of their own for sound level.

I also know of someone who uses such a strange device they are followers of satan and must be avoided less they contaminate the masses with their dark and strange ways .It,s like people who eat marmite another road to soddom and Gommorah :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Good grief! 200 yards? That's not lr even HV! That's gotta be WMR but then I've never seen WMR subs! My longest confirmed with 22lr is around 90 yards. Don't even think I'd attempt that range with my mouse gun ?

Admit it your in cahoots with the devil ?

13 hours ago, walshie said:

22 hornet of course. :laugh:

Of course. ?

Although the adventurous might try the .17. More time to experiment when you're not train spotting. ?

7 hours ago, walshie said:

These topics normally go the same way. Underdog has a 22lr. He tried HV rounds in that rifle. 

Then....da da daaaa....recommendations for other calibres instead. :D

It's all opinion. As said, nothing wrong with hv's but once you get loud, there are better rounds for fox, and flatter rounds for long range rabbits. You take your choice really, WMR, HMR, other .17's, Hornets. In fact once your at prey scaring levels of sound, it doesn't really matter whether it's a HMR or a canon. The sound is going to scare them if you miss, scare others in the vicinity. Might as well even go to a larger CF if fox is the prey.

• Haha 1
12 hours ago, walshie said:

These topics normally go the same way. Underdog has a 22lr. He tried HV rounds in that rifle. 

Then....da da daaaa....recommendations for other calibres instead. :D

?

I've got a bunch of centerpieces under my belt and don't plan on returning soon for a whole host of reasons.

Chiefly I just don't need to shoot beyond 100yds anymore and if I see one beyond that I enjoy getting closer.

I also got fed up with the pressure of shooting a live target at long range. Especially with aging eyes!

I could say I have gone full circle and that circle won't be completed untill I am pure black powder and things that go twang!

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Gav said:

Good grief! 200 yards? That's not lr even HV! That's gotta be WMR but then I've never seen WMR subs! My longest confirmed with 22lr is around 90 yards. Don't even think I'd attempt that range with my mouse gun ?

Admit it your in cahoots with the devil ?

I was only fooling at that distance.

However, a crow is welcome to a 22 LR of any type and at any distance from me!

?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1