Which terrier?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re sheep it’s just a matter of regular controlled exposure as a pup. If any type of dog is a problem with sheep it is a failing in the owner, not some inherent unavoidable evil in the dog.

I’d steer clear of a patterdale as you have a  higher chance of getting a driven dog that won’t settle unless it’s given hard work. Then again a lot of working terriers and some of the best are laid b

What people are meaning is that a proper bred earth dog is an extremely driven animal. They need to be to carry out the work that they do. If such a dog is not given enough work and allowed to become

4 hours ago, NewTerrier said:

I think i do have my mind set on a Patterdale. Be it a full Patterdale or a Patterdale cross.  Jack Russell coming next (although not sure if a jack russell will take a rabbit?)

I've seen Patterdale x jack russell and patterdale cross lakeland for sale. Any thoughts on these?

Do you also have any advice for my situation on what to look for when im viewing pups?

Cheers.

What do you mean by take a rabbit? How will it be working for a rabbit, a whippet cross terrier would beat anything when it comes to that job, and would take rats with ease.?

• Like 2

so my last terrier would simply catch them in the field...either by cornering them or by waiting near an entrance to a burrow or digging a burrow or just pot luck ambush in the bushes. I did not train him to do this, it just came natural to him...he used to dig moles out too...or jump on them when they came to surface...he would literally follow the ground then stop and then stand there for ages looking at the ground until they came up and then grab em...it was great to watch ?

My youngest GSD will give chase and catch a rabbit...but this is only ever in the garden...so i think she has the benefit of the rabbit has no where to go and possibly they have mixy. I dont think she'd catch them in an open field if chasing and when i take her to a burrow entrance she has no interest at all.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/11/2018 at 10:26, NewTerrier said:

so my last terrier would simply catch them in the field...either by cornering them or by waiting near an entrance to a burrow or digging a burrow or just pot luck ambush in the bushes. I did not train him to do this, it just came natural to him...he used to dig moles out too...or jump on them when they came to surface...he would literally follow the ground then stop and then stand there for ages looking at the ground until they came up and then grab em...it was great to watch ?

My youngest GSD will give chase and catch a rabbit...but this is only ever in the garden...so i think she has the benefit of the rabbit has no where to go and possibly they have mixy. I dont think she'd catch them in an open field if chasing and when i take her to a burrow entrance she has no interest at all.

cheers

I have a first cross Bedlington Whippet. Smashes through bushes like a terrier and is fast enough to catch them in the open. I have had 4 patterdale sand only one of them could catch rabbits without help and these were young summer rabbits in bushes. Sure she used to go in quiet like a cat and ambush them. Don’t know how she did it. I just used to here the squeal and there she would have another. I think a bedlington whippet would be a good choice for rabbits and rats mate. You will have better results on the rabbits for sure.

At end of day you pay your money and take your chance.what ever type U get it's only got to please you .u are the one who's got to live with it so u get what suits you .

any terrier from the working types will work if enterd propaley ,if it was me it'd b a bedlington as good vermin dogs .Atb

4 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

At end of day you pay your money and take your chance.what ever type U get it's only got to please you .u are the one who's got to live with it so u get what suits you .

any terrier from the working types will work if enterd propaley ,if it was me it'd b a bedlington as good vermin dogs .Atb

Prob be better at running the bunnies better than a patterdale I would of thought aswel. Don’t be surprised if the patterdale does f**k all to the bunny population. Need something with abit of speed. Better option would be to get two dogs. One to storm the bushes and a whippet to nail em on the outside. That’s it job done just need to find some litters now. Enjoy! ??

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I would avoid pet bred terriers , they can be nervous cowardly things that aren’t good around kids and livestock. I would also avoid a pattetdale because as been said before they are very driven . A Border or a good working Russel would be good .

On there own against bunnies though? Pissing in the wind, it’s his own land he wants to manage. Needs a little team if you ask me. At least two dogs anyway that can work together. Busher and runner. Throw a ferret out there for good measure ?? be nowt left

50 minutes ago, Who let the dogs out! said:

On there own against bunnies though? Pissing in the wind, it’s his own land he wants to manage. Needs a little team if you ask me. At least two dogs anyway that can work together. Busher and runner. Throw a ferret out there for good measure ?? be nowt left

To be honest, even though I hate the things he’d be better off with a cat . If I take my eyes off my Terrier’s for one minute they are up to no good and getting into some sort of bother . They kill chickens and bugger off and are basically a nightmare. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

To be honest, even though I hate the things he’d be better off with a cat . If I take my eyes off my Terrier’s for one minute they are up to no good and getting into some sort of bother . They kill chickens and bugger off and are basically a nightmare. 

Hahaha yea f**k the dogs get a few moggys mate ????

Edited by Who let the dogs out!
Daft autocorrect

Don't worry to much about the breed just get something who,s parents do the job your after, a farm bred Russell type would probably take to it like your last dog did, I know an old lady that lives on a small holding and has a little fanny licker shitzue that is a nailer around the yard takes lots of drummers in the summer and rats in winter he,s out in the yard hunting all day and loves it, have seen a few pretty decent staffies make tidy vermin dogs as well over the years, if your out on the land all day everyday with a young dog in tow it will soon work out what's needed ???

• Like 2