Which terrier?

Hi, 

Just signed up as looking for some advice.

I am looking for a Terrier to be both a family dog and a working dog. I live on a smallholding and have had nothing but issues with rats/stoats and possibly a fox take all my hens and ducks and rabbits destroy my entire veg garden...not to mention the mole plague since losing my last Terrier cross 

I used to have a Terrier cross Springer, Charlie, who sadly i no longer have...he was a patterdale cross springer spaniel and was a moling legend and didnt care much for anything that was small and had fur...he kept the rabbit population at bay and loved to kill rats...i never realised how much he did and never trained him to do this.

So ive decided I need to get a Terrier!...I think i got lucky with Charlie so i've decided to do a bit of research 1st. 

I have 2 German Shepherds and young children...Im thinking of a full Patterdale...is there any better option or any advice that you can give me please? 

Thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Re sheep it’s just a matter of regular controlled exposure as a pup. If any type of dog is a problem with sheep it is a failing in the owner, not some inherent unavoidable evil in the dog.

I’d steer clear of a patterdale as you have a  higher chance of getting a driven dog that won’t settle unless it’s given hard work. Then again a lot of working terriers and some of the best are laid b

What people are meaning is that a proper bred earth dog is an extremely driven animal. They need to be to carry out the work that they do. If such a dog is not given enough work and allowed to become

I think a Russell pup off a farm where the parents are used for a bit of everything.I use mine for a lot of vermin control on my farm although they are from a line of straight fox dogs,but I'd go for the less intense pup.I don't know if I'd get one too far removed from hunting lines as your dog will probably be doing more than most hunting terriers.

thanks for your replies.

I do like Patterdales...do you think they are too much for what i want? Are you saying its best I dont get a Patterdale pup thats come from working parents?...

How come my last Terrier was so good at it?...i didnt train him to be. Ive seen some patterdale cross Jack Russell for sale which is tempting...

When i think about it, my main reason for getting a terrier is to kill  rats and rabbits and to be a pet 2nd. I dont want some armchair dog sat in front of the fire being a  lazy little thing! ?

Thanks.

What people are meaning is that a proper bred earth dog is an extremely driven animal. They need to be to carry out the work that they do. If such a dog is not given enough work and allowed to become bored and frustrated they can become destructive, a pain to live with and sometimes a downright liability. The expression using a Ferrari to deliver milk has been used in the past.

Personally I don't think it would be a problem in your situation. The life you seem to be able to give a terrier I would think would be enough to keep one sane and happy. But then I am no purist and respect that to some keeping a well bred dog for such work would be a bit of a waste. Each to their and it's a free country. Actually it isn't if a free country if you are in the UK. It would be worth familiarising yourself with the current laws if you are intending to use dogs to hunt fox and stoats.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on.

• Like 3

Thanks again for your replies and advice.

What cross terriers would you say are best?...i think thats why Charlie was how he was as he had patterdale and springer in him.

I should also mention I need a Terrier that is not bothered or less bothered by sheep!...I know any dog can and will chase a sheep but thought id mention this!

Thanks.

yeah i completely agree. My GSDs are never off lead near sheep and if they even so look at one they are told!...I guess what i mean is I want whatever Terrier i get to 'work' vermin and rabbits, whilst there are sheep on my land and so I want them to ignore the sheep. I know this will come down to training...but i guess some terriers are less inclined to be interested in sheep and more on vermin?

Cheers

A terrier wont make a conscious decision to ignore sheep and focus on rabbits or whatever unless it has been schooled to do so. That’s what I meant. But absolutely no reason that a terrier of any breed or type cannot be 100% bombproof. They’re intelligent animals. 

• Like 2

I’d steer clear of a patterdale as you have a  higher chance of getting a driven dog that won’t settle unless it’s given hard work. Then again a lot of working terriers and some of the best are laid back, but this can be down to the fact they’re worked. A border terrier would be a handy dog for what your after, often calm around a yard and are handy ratting bushing dogs, cracking pets too.

• Like 4

I had patterdales for many years they grafted aswel as any1s terriers I've ever been out with and a lot of times better and they were brought up with my eldest lad and were pets aswel the best terrier I ever owned joe was as happy Sat on mi old grans knee getting spoilt as he was grafting only he went from lap dog to a beast was a nice dog that could make them bolt stand off and bay so didnt take a hammering but also 1 of a few dogs I've seen who could knack em before I'd dug to him if he needed to

I think i do have my mind set on a Patterdale. Be it a full Patterdale or a Patterdale cross.  Jack Russell coming next (although not sure if a jack russell will take a rabbit?)

I've seen Patterdale x jack russell and patterdale cross lakeland for sale. Any thoughts on these?

Do you also have any advice for my situation on what to look for when im viewing pups?

Cheers.